Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Can't stop the rebooting!

• Please log in to reply

charliebrown

charliebrown

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Am having severe random rebooting issues. Having to post this while running in safe mode. Have run various mal-ware programs. No dice. Research says maybe svchost is compromised? Can post hijack this log but can I run it in safe mode? Don't know if I can get the system to run long enough without safe mode to run a hijack log.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You have to run HJT in normal mode only -- not safe mode.

Your PC may be rebooting because it's been set to do that when an error is encountered, but you can disable that setting.
Boot into Safe Mode.
Open Control Panel (classic view)
Click 'System' then the 'Advanced' tab.
Click the lowermost 'Settings' button.
Under "System Failure' options, UNtick the option to 'Automatically restart.
Now reboot in normal mode and see if it will keep running, allbeit with an error or two but at least you'll be able to run HJT.

charliebrown

charliebrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Good morning. Sorry, it got late here and I decided to try again this a.m. I followed your instructions and managed to run Hijack This just before the system crashed again. I got the BSOD with this stop error-

Stop: 0X00000024 (0X001902FE, 0XF78BE810, 0XF78BE50C, 0X80506276)

I am now running in safe mode again to continue with you.

A little more background. When this started happening, I thought it was hardware related. I took my computer to Best Buy (Geek Squad) where I had purchased it. They had it for 5 days, could not replicate the problems there, but ran a series of stress tests on the motherboard, harddrive, video card, and ram. They felt they had discovered a problem with the ram and replaced it.

When I got the system home, the crashes started again. I decided to remove the video card, which had been in the system for about 6 months and go back to the original card. The card I removed was an Nvidia card. I removed the drivers, reinstalled the original drivers, and started back up. For a short time (a few hours) the system worked but eventually, the problem of crashes started up again.

Not being super techie, I'm at a loss. I did have Best Buy create a backup of my personal files, in case I lose the entire system but I'm hoping you an tell me whats wrong and how to fix it.

Below is my Hijack log:

Please do not post hijack this logs in any other forum than the malware forum as it will incourage others to do so as well. Your log has been removed and re-attached as a text file

Thanks for anything you might be able to tell me. I'll await you feedback. Thanks......charliebrown

Edited by dsenette, 19 July 2007 - 10:36 AM.

charliebrown

charliebrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
HELP!!!!