Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound problem

• Please log in to reply

tigerdee41

tigerdee41

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have Dell XPS 400..I'm having a problem with the sound on my computer..When i plug the headphones in the sound is scratchy..When i play the speakers the sound is fine...I checked both headphones and they wrk with my cd player so the computer must be the problem. This is a recent problem. The headphones worked fine yesterday... Any help would be appreciated..thanks.. :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
where are you plugging the headphones in? on the front ports or the back ports? what if you trye the back ports?

tigerdee41

tigerdee41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I plug them in using the front ports...If i try the back ports i get the same thing...the sound is static like...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Do the speakers (that work fine) plug in at the back? Did you unplug them to plug in the headphones at the back for your above comment?

If i try the back ports i get the same thing

tigerdee41

tigerdee41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The speakers plug in the back.....the headphones plug in the front..No I didn't unplug the speakers to use the port in the back....

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Try it, there could be something wrong with the front port connection. This would tell us if there is or not.

tigerdee41

tigerdee41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I couldn't find a back port for the headphone jack..There only appears to be one in the front..There's also a jack for microphones but that one isn't working either. I found a scecond mircophone jack in the back but not one for headphones....When i did the test earlier there was a port labeled audio..I ried it and it didn't work...I recently did a system restore and since i did that the headphone ports don't seem to work..Do i need to get my driver updated...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
What I meant was for you to unplug the speakers and use the same jack to plug in your headphones. Unless they have different plugs?

Yes please post the make/model of your sound card (or motherboard if you're using onboard audio) and we can find the latest driver for you. It might be worth downloading the latest driver, then uninstalling the old driver and your audio device from Device Manager and rebooting before installing the new one again.

tigerdee41

tigerdee41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The speakers and headphones have didfferent jacks... I have an X Fi Blaster sound card...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Oh well there goes my suggestion then... I suppose you could make sure the internal connectors are properly attached to the card. It might have come off a bit in movement or something.

tigerdee41

tigerdee41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Oh well there goes my suggestion then... I suppose you could make sure the internal connectors are properly attached to the card. It might have come off a bit in movement or something.

how would I do that?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You would need to open up the case and have a look. You should have completely turned the computer off and disconnected the power cord, then touch a metal part of the case (once you've unscrewed the side off) so that any static on your body gets removed. There's no real need to touch anything anyway, just have a look-see. You should be able to see a whole bunch of cords coming from the bottom-front of the case (usually) and connect to the motherboard. This will be everything like your power and reset buttons, USB connections, and audio connections. Just have a close look and see if anything is loose.

Then just reverse the instructions to put everything back together again.

tigerdee41

tigerdee41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I checked everything looks fine.. Im really confused..everything was working fine one day then the next it stopped working...