Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop overheats

• Please log in to reply

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
lol i use it for gaming, that would be kind of hard with in on my lap, but yeah i know that it gets hot easily if its on your lap or on your bed and stuff.

Advertisements

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
the problem hasnt completely gone away with the SpeedFan, so i will be reading that thread posted above and applying the thermal paste this friday.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
okay, i have just applied the thermal paste! all that was required was like the size of a grain of rice lol, im hoping this will do the trick!

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
ok i guess it didnt really help too much... a forum specifically designed to fix my problem with my specific laptop model, and it still didnt fix the problem.. well im fresh out of ideas =[

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Okay I give up. =[. I'm running out of ideas... nothing seems to be working, even a manual to applying thermal paste to fix my exact problem on my exact laptop model. I even had someone help me lower the voltage of my processor or whatever yesterday, to see if that will lower the temp, but to no avail. No matter what I do, when I open up CS.. the temp gradually makes its way up from 60-70 C to 95-100C and proceeds to shut off the laptop at the worst possible time.

I'm thinking about buying parts and building my own desktop... someone told me that it'll just be 255$ + monitor if I do it at newegg, although I'm not sure because I don't know anything about hardware, especially how to put it together.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Okay, I think I improved the heat. It is too early to tell, but maybe I lowered the heat enough to solve the problem altogether. What I did was remove a plastic film that was on the inside part of the cover on the bottom of the laptop. It had a large square black plastic film cover that was covering the ventilation where the hottest part of the laptop was. I just took it completely off, and now my laptop is at least 15-20 C cooler.

The problem was that my laptop would make its way from 60 to 95C and then shut off without warning. Now it stays around 70-80, it hasn't gone above 85. I've had CS on for a couple hours and it hasn't shut off, it usually shuts off every 15-20 minutes. It's still too early to tell though, but I know I've improved it for sure, I'm just hoping it stays that way.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I just played for a heck of a long time last night, and it didn't shut off once! The laptop was stable at 70-80C, rarely going up to 85, never 90. As long as it stays like this, I'll be fine!

There is a 23 page thread discussion regarding the overheating of my specific laptop model, so I wouldn't say this is an uncommon problem lol. http://forum.noteboo...d...4516&page=2

The thing I removed was basically a dust cover.
But I'll post a few pictures from the thread of what/where the film is, if you guys don't want to look at the link.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Sk0rch, 19 December 2007 - 03:39 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Good job solving this problem! I'm sorry I couldn't help, because of the large gap between posts it seems the forums quit my subscription to the thread (likely the reason for others as well).
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Also well done, thanks for continuing to post. I have to admit, it seems that dust cover has caused more grief than good! :) Just don't forget to be careful about dust now, you may have to check it every now and again to make sure it stays reasonably clean. Looking at the picture of the dust flap, though, it looks like some idiot added it in the factory, it doesn't look very well made :)

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Thanks a lot, yeah, the PC runs perfectly well now, hasn't shut off once!!

Advertisements