Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

umountable_boot_volume

• Please log in to reply

Common

Common

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
okay so today i came home and like usual just turned on the computer. now as far as i know there have been small power outages. it was just like a couple of quick snaps of power. not the long ones. When i load up my computer it goes through the usual process with the boot menu and windows XP logo with the blue running thing underneath. then it starts resetting itself. i thought it was just a one time thing but it happened like 50 times without any change. it also goes to this blue screen saying UMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME when i try to load it in safe mode or ANY mode.

i read around saying that i should just go to the recovery console and type in chckdsk/r but i cant even get to the console. it just restarts itself :whistling:

any help? also i cant find ANY of the disks that came with my computer :blink:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Find an XP CD from somewhere, boot from it, access that recovery console and do CHKDSK from there.
If your computer manufacturer pre-installed Recovery Console on the boot screen, it may not be accessible.

Common

Common

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
yea its on the boot screen. it says press one of the F# buttons. and i dont think my comp came with a windows XP CD

Common

Common

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
i was just wondering is the CD just the CD that you use to download the OS with?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The CD is the one you need with an XP logo and emblem on it.
This is not the same as a recovery CD, these will wipe the system if you're not careful.