Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Full :o

• Please log in to reply

Storm2k5

Storm2k5

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yesterday i had 30gb space and it was complaning it has under 200mb when i checked today it only has 1byte of space and i cant download anything. I dont know what i should do now.

Thanks, Storm.

Advertisements

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Have you got any spyreware or antivirus software? These programs save the results of checking to the folder System Volume Information, so it can take some space.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Some free space must be created!

To begin run the Disk Cleanup Utility. This is found under System Tools within the Accessories entry of All Programs. I suggest that you uncheck the box for "Compress old files," not because it's a bad thing, but because in your situation it will likely take a very long time.

Most of us have movies, videos, photos, and music stored on our hard drives. These are all large files and cumulatively account for a lot of space. i suggest that you either burn them to CD and then delete them, or get an external hard drive and move them there.

The Recycle bin can be adjusted for size. By selecting Properties from a right click of the Recycle bin you will find a slider than can be used to adjust the amount of disc space reserved for its use. I have mine set for 2%.

I know that I have programs installed that I almost never use. I suggest that you open the Add/Remove Programs applet of the Control Panel and take a good look at the list. Start with the largest. Are there any that you can do without?

Once you get at least 15% free space, run your Disk Defragmenter. This is also part of System Tools. It may take a little while, so please be patient with it. The space freed up will not be huge, but there will be some, and things will work just a little more smoothly.

Once you can download, CCleaner is an excellent application for keeping the level of junk files under control. Free from: http://www.ccleaner.com/ Ccleaner is quite powerful, and can remove some of the files that you may actually want. Please read the tutorial and configure CCleaner to your needs before running it.

Another great junk cleaner is ATF: http://www.atribune....tent/view/19/2/ Less complicated, very effective.

I am very enthusiastic about my external hard drives. They allow me tons of room for my data and media files, and because all my data is on the external, any problem with my OS does not put my files at risk. The prices have come way down, and they can now be found even at Wal-mart.

Good luck, and please post back with your progress.