Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsa shell

• Please log in to reply

nataliep

nataliep

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My sony laptop was working great since the last time and then it started that when I would open an internet window it would say page cannot be displayed no matter what I did so I just killed it completely and ran the recovery cd's on it again...I got everything up and running and it started doing it again and so of course I went to update my definitions....it took several times to get them all because it kept saying lsa shell error and restarting me, but I finally got them. Well then I ran a scan and it found 7 virus and they couldn't be cleaned and so they were quarantined and then deleted. Well, so then I thought it was fixed, but it kept doing it! But when it scans for viruses it doesn't find anything and it says that my defs are all up to date! Any ideas?

Edited by nataliep, 12 April 2005 - 08:24 AM.

Advertisements

glover

glover

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hello nataliep

First, lsass.exe is a genuine windows process but it has a vulnerability which is exploited by the Sasser worm. Your antivirus software is unlikely to deal with the problem and you should therefore download STINGER.EXE from Mcafee

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

this is a free standalone utility which deals with Sasser and 40 other worms inluding Blaster which has been another major nusiance.

I have also heard that windows XP service pack 2 fixes the vulnerability but cannot confirm this.

good luck.