Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partition troubles

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Okay. Lemme try to explain this... One day I had an XP and partition not used. Friend bugs me to use Linux, I cave. So now I have XP and Linux. I installed some drivers for XP to recognize Linux's partition. But later on I realize don't find Linux that appeal to be honest as I'm a gamer. So my friend's Uncle has Vista and doesn't like it. I ask if I can have it as I'm a major MS fanboy and want Vista. I install Vista over Linux. All good. So on the Vista partition it's

C: = Vista
D: = XP

A O.K.

But now on XP...

C: = Vista
F: = XP (I want to have it do too, anyway to do that?)
H: = Old Linux partition but now reads as C: too? Useless. Wanna delete.

How can I make F: = D: and get rid of H:? H: is just displaying what C:, the Vista partition does. It was the old Linux partition and I guess didn't get erased when I wiped Linux.

Thanks!

Advertisements

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Format H: in Disk Management. You can stay it to store you data or merge with another one (using disk management utilities, for example Disk Director or Partitiom Magic).
Changing letters for boot partitions can lead to os corruption. I think you can make a backup (for example using True Image, it alows to make a backup of one partition or the whole drive) and change the letter with Disk Management, after restore the backup.