Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can we improve Geeks to Go?

• Please log in to reply

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi :-)

Is there a function to easily find topics that have not received any replies?
The "View new content' link shows all new topics, but also the ones already answered.
It would be nice to have an option to find the topics that might have slipped through the cracks.

Any options with this forum software?

Advertisements

Incoming

Incoming

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
If Admin wants this I can get the MyBB script and find the code for it.. and edit it for this forum as well :D

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
When you're within a subforum, such as this one, scroll to the bottom and click on Click here to show filter options. Change the sort by field to Order: Replies and the sort direction to A-Z. Click Go, and the topics will be sorted by those with no answers at the top.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Thanks sari, That is a start :-)

It's a shame it's only for a sub forum and not the total forum, but it is helpful.
If it's possible to implement an option that does the same for the entire forum that would be better still.
Considering it's possible for a sub forum, there should be a possibility to implement it for the entire forum in a similar fashion.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
If we were to do it for the entire forum, you would get all of the new malware topics, which you are not allowed to reply to, as well as all the other forums you might not be interested in - off-topic, development, etc. Since you seem to have a few areas of expertise that you visit frequently, isn't it easier to just check those forums?

Ehsanit

Ehsanit

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

you would get all of the new malware topics, which you are not allowed to reply to.

It can be done. On the forum I'm most active on, techguy.org, the no-responses search specifically doesn't give you the malware entries. Also because discussion tends to get a few long threads it doesn't polute the results that much, and ignoring forums that you have no interest in is easier than going to all the forums that you do have an interest in.
I use it extensively, but the system does have some weaknesses. Most important is that you don't see results that do have a response even if the response is poor or a further plea/info from the Original Poster.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I was discussing this with admin, and he specifically brought up techguy.org. It's using a different forum software. Yes, it can be done - many things can be done. Keep in mind, however, that the more special mods that we have, the harder it is to maintain or upgrade the forums. We experienced that issue with the upgrade to the current version. We already have a number of special tweaks and mods, and some of those had to be rewritten with the upgrade.

Ehsanit

Ehsanit

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Sure they're overworked, but that's no surprise if they have to manually give the results to every search made.
You lost me for a moment until I realized that special mods meant modifications to the forum software, not moderators! I can see why you wouldn't want to make edits unless really needed.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

If we were to do it for the entire forum, you would get all of the new malware topics, which you are not allowed to reply to, as well as all the other forums you might not be interested in - off-topic, development, etc. Since you seem to have a few areas of expertise that you visit frequently, isn't it easier to just check those forums?

Very much true in my case, but I was talking in a more general sense. I understand it could be a hassle to implement and it's not really mandatory to have, just a suggestion.
The waiting room serves a similar function as I had in mind (catching the topics with 0 replies), but it requires user action. It is enough though to catch the topics that really need attention.

Thanks though,

Mythio

Ehsanit

Ehsanit

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Double Notification of quote.

I realize the clear advantage of having a notification when somebody quotes your post. However in most cases this takes place within the same thread as the post quoted. Therefore I find that I'm subscribed to the thread anyway, and get two notifications for the same event. So I was just wondering whether there might be an option in the forum software to send only one notification per user per response. If not forget it; it only takes seconds to delete the second email.

Advertisements

MS-Free

MS-Free

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
New forum: Purchasing Advice. Not sure what category you'd file it under... perhaps "Discussion". (There's probably a better way to title it).

I can quickly find at least 4 different topics where someone is looking for advise on a purchasing decision.

When you think about it, these topics really don't fit any of the existing forums very well...

I do see a couple of potential pitfalls with this idea, though: A) It could make an awfully tempting place for spam to gather, and B) There'd almost definitely be a need to emphasize any/all responses are the opinions of the poster only, and may not always be fact.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

Double Notification of quote.

I realize the clear advantage of having a notification when somebody quotes your post. However in most cases this takes place within the same thread as the post quoted. Therefore I find that I'm subscribed to the thread anyway, and get two notifications for the same event. So I was just wondering whether there might be an option in the forum software to send only one notification per user per response. If not forget it; it only takes seconds to delete the second email.

The advantage between the two;
The notification for the Topic has an 'expiration date' where it expires after 2 weeks.

The notification for the quote is there at all times. Even if it is a year later.

Regards,
Olrik

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
There should be a "Copy" button for quoteboxes and codeboxes. There would be less errors caused by copy-pasting with that. And I believe it's not hard to implement.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Devper94: What exactly would you want to copy when it comes to quoteboxes/codeboxes? A button for the tags is in the style menu when your posting a reply or you can just quote the post of the user from which you want to copy the quote/code box?

I'm very much liking the little icons in front of every forum! Great style improvement G2G :D

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
not for me, but for users who need malware removal. it is easier to copy a fix that way.