Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can we improve Geeks to Go?

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How about the one we already have in the Applications forum?

http://www.geekstogo...ftware-t38.html

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Thanks, it is a good suggestion. We've seriously considered it in the past, and will likely revisit it again soon.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Is there a way to access the member list without typing it in the address bar?

I'm talking about this, by the way:

http://www.geekstogo...ember-list.html

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Click on the link circled in red.
It is on the top right of your page.

Members.JPG

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
That’s the old skin keithr128 the members link is not there on the new skins. To get to the members list on the new skins you can click on My Assistant then Overall top 20 posters that brings you to the members list then you can search however you like.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
:) oops i completely forgot about that, good thing some people are paying attention around here

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
You can also go to the bottom of the forum and click on overall top 20 posters.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Thanks guys

EDIT: And gals... Sorry...

Edited by piano9playa5, 12 January 2009 - 08:36 PM.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
When posting on the fourm, we have many options for BB Code for text placement; Left, Center, and Right.. One that I thought was available here was justified text. (just realized it wasn't) Can Justified text be added to the BB Code options?

Definition on Justified Text

It probably wouldn't be very useful, but I noticed it was missing....

:)

Edited by piano9playa5, 16 February 2009 - 06:05 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

It probably wouldn't be very useful, but I noticed it was missing....

Why ask the already busy administrators of this site to spend extra time adding a feature that won't be very useful?

:)

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Why does something far away seem smaller but it really isn't?

Just pointing it out :)

dinotech

dinotech

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I would like to see if a thread has been answered, answered and in progress, or answered and resolved. The resolution should be tagged so we can do a search on it.

How much of what I am suggesting is implemented? What about a tag cloud?

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

I would like to see if a thread has been answered, answered and in progress, or answered and resolved. The resolution should be tagged so we can do a search on it.

How much of what I am suggesting is implemented? What about a tag cloud?

Dinotech:

As far as I know, the only way to know the status of a thread would be if it was resolved or closed, or if someone responded as they do when doing malware threads and it has a reply from a helper. Usually, what I have seen done is to have a helper edit the topic title in question, adding [RESOLVED], [CLOSED] or in the case of the Waiting Room [REPLIED]. Additionally, when a Malware problem is resolved, the Helper will use a close message that says something like this:

Since this issue appears to be resolved, I am closing this thread. All others please start a new topic
If you are the original poster and need this topic reopened, please contact a member of the Geeks to Go Malware Staff.

It should be noted however, that the only threads that we close would be those in in the Malware Forum, because only those who are Malware Staff can post there. Other threads in other forums are not closed unless they present a problem (ie: duplicate/triplicate posts, Locked for other reasons) I do not know about a "tag cloud" but, for those theads that are closed, they are noted as such either by editing the topic title, or by reading the last post in the thread which will tell you if and sometimes why it was locked.

I am not sure if it would be feasible to to tag a post this way, because you would have to edit all posts in all forums to conform to this idea. I am also not sure if the searh engine would be able to differentiate between the status tags.

Your best best would be to ask admin this question, and I am sure that if he sees this, he will reply.

Good Luck!!

Brian

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

I think the response I got when I brought this up to one of the Admins is that in the tech forums on a lot of issues we are not able to tell if the issue is resolved. Mis-marked items would cause too much work.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The biggest difference is that only staff are allowed to reply to malware topics, only person helps at a time, and it's obvious when an infection is gone and the topic resolved. In the tech forums anyone can reply to topics, more than one person often offers help, and it's not as clear when the issue is resolved. I've seen other sites allow the topic starter to mark a topic as resolved, but most do not, and when they do it prevents others that may have the same problem from adding to the topic. While I can understand it's a little confusing to see two very different approaches used on the same site, the reasons are explained above, and time tested to work well.

I've thought about adding a tag cloud, but it's only useful if people tag their posts, and most forum posters do not.