Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can we improve Geeks to Go?

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Right-click > Open in New Tab.

If it isn't what you are looking for, close the tab and you are left where you were. This is how I use the forums anyway. :D

Advertisements

Ehsanit

Ehsanit

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Or CTRL click. The problem there is that you still have to load the page, which takes both time and bandwidth. It takes even more time and bandwidth if you open 20 such tabs which you might (no guarantees since the title tells next to nothing) be able to answer. By contrast if you could get the first few sentences of the problem by hovering over the link or pressing a button beside it, you could rule out the majority of pure time sinks before you even load them, at the cost of perhaps a few extra kilobytes on the index pages.

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Would it be possible to have some sort of preview (e.g. Title, onMouseover) of the opening post (or first bit of the opening post if it's long) to a thread so that it's easier to gauge what kind of question is being asked before actually loading the page. After all, people don't always provide very precise titles.

But there is a topic preview!

cheers
zorba

Incoming

Incoming

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
I think this section should be at the top of the forum. I rarely come in here because I always forget it exists.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If we used that logic, wouldn't every forum be on top? :D

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Would it be possible to have some sort of preview (e.g. Title, onMouseover) of the opening post...

The current topic preview is quite clunky. I would wager most people don't know it's there. There have been some improvements made and they will be implemented here shortly (on Mouseover). Broader improvements have to wait for the next forum revision (3.2).

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
New hover topic preview now in place. The skinning is still too heavy, the tabs outdated, and it needs to be implemented in other areas of the site, but it's a start. :D

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Would it be possible for users to remove logs or attached files in forums if they wish? I was recently helping someone on IRC, who was worried about his privacy because he posted HijackThis, Malwarebytes etc. logs in the malware removal forum and was scared that it could be used against him. (Privacy issues and such)

Anyway, keep up the great work!Posted Image

Edited by Rifat Zaman, 30 October 2010 - 01:40 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
That is an edit function, and is only given to moderators and administrators. It wouldn't make sense to allow just anyone to edit other people's posts - that would be quite dangerous, actually. :D We have edited people's logs in the past to remove identifying information at their request, but that request should be made to one of the site admins.

Also, I hope you weren't helping someone with malware removal in IRC, as that violates our Terms of Use. Only trained malware helpers may offer malware removal advice on our forums and in our chat room.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Would it be possible for users to remove logs or attached files in forums if they wish?

Sure, if someone can show me anything in a log that could be used against them. I really don't understand what people get so concerned about.

Advertisements

beep9362

beep9362

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
Is there a way to have the forum's fonts make larger?
Compared to other sites, I always have to enlarge the fonts before I can read anything, and then, switching on another page on GTG to read, I have to enlarge the fonts again, I have FF, don't use IE.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Using Firefox you can just CTRL + to make the fonts larger. CTRL - to make them smaller.

As I recall our fonts are slightly larger than the default. However, I'll look again. It's a balance between making them readable, and useable. If they are too large than linebreaks become an issue with things like malware logs, registry fixes, etc. Plus larger fonts require more scrolling.

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Would it be possible for users to remove logs or attached files in forums if they wish?

Sure, if someone can show me anything in a log that could be used against them. I really don't understand what people get so concerned about.

True, I assured him that he was completely safe, and that no one in the geeks to go community was there to harm his computer. But he was still worried. He was also concerned that Googling his name draws up his geeks to go account. So I proceeded to ask him about his antivirus and firewall, turns out he was using Windows Firewall! Posted Image But anyway, I think he will sleep easy, I recommended that he use Comodo firewall instead. Anywho, keep up the great workPosted Image

Edited by Rifat Zaman, 30 October 2010 - 11:43 PM.

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Also, I hope you weren't helping someone with malware removal in IRC, as that violates our Terms of Use. Only trained malware helpers may offer malware removal advice on our forums and in our chat room.

Yes, I told him to ask an administrator about it. And no, I was not helping him with malware removal, he just asked about removing posts on the geeks to go forums

beep9362

beep9362

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Using Firefox you can just CTRL + to make the fonts larger. CTRL - to make them smaller.

As I recall our fonts are slightly larger than the default. However, I'll look again. It's a balance between making them readable, and useable. If they are too large than linebreaks become an issue with things like malware logs, registry fixes, etc. Plus larger fonts require more scrolling.

--
thanks, I do enlarge fonts through the setup already in FF.
I just wonder why every page has to be done again and again.

With the new small laptops, notebooks, it is hard to see anything for us older people.
On the other hand, on my kids large screen desktops, everything looks fine, but I don't have a new desktop with a large screen.

I understand about the logs. As a Geek in Training, I print out lessons to be able to read, and looking up answers,I enlarge every page on the laptop. The fonts look grey until I enlarge them, then they become black.
I just wonder, is it my eyes or the preset colour.

On other sites, once I logged in, pages stay the same on the same site when I switch to another pages. I just wonder if that wouldn't be possible on GTG?
thanks for any answer.