Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hotswapping Monitor

• Please log in to reply

Yishai

Yishai

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Is it ok to hotswap an external monitor hooked up to a laptop via 15 pin vga connection?

:whistling:

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,730 posts
I have never seen a problem and perhaps it is not the best idea, but in general I think it is ok to hotswap the monitor. With a laptop you should be able to disable the output to the monitor, which while is not required, might be a bit safer.

Yishai

Yishai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks Kemasa!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i agree...i've never seen it cause a problem...i've got a few systems that i've removed the "screws" from the VGA cable just because the monitor get's switch so often....

on the monitor's end of the cable...it's designed to go from zero power (like when your PC is off) to powered (pc is on) instantaniously...so as far as the monitor is concerned...swapping the cable is the same as turning off your PC without turning off the monitor

and on the PC's end of the cable....it's pretty much a one way communication deal...there's little (pretty much none) information going back FROM the monitor to the PC....so you don't have to worry about the monitor spiking y our laptop or anything...

Yishai

Yishai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Perfect. Thanks for the info.