Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems With FPS in Most Games

• Please log in to reply

Cab00s3

Cab00s3

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I'm kind of a big gamer. I've gamed for many years and recently have been experiencing extremely low fps in games that i use to play with ease. For instance, my fps for Counter Strike 1.6 literally drops down to 12-20, when it should be running over 100. The card i have was made for Half Life 2, however i get only 30fps in that. Here are my system Specs.

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11
Memory (RAM): 1024 MB
CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz
CPU Speed: 3191.5 MHz
Sound card: Plantronics Headset
Display Adapters: RADEON 9800 XT | RADEON 9800 XT - Secondary | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1280 X 1024 - 32 bit
:
Network Adapters: Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: D: JLMS DVD-ROM LTD-166S | E: MSI CD-RW MS-8340S
:
COM Ports: COM4 | COM1 | COM2 | COM3
LPT Ports:
Mouse: 16 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 114.5GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 55.8GB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected

AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: ATAT COMPATIBLE 012306 A M I 1000623
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P4P800SE

I uses a G15 Gaming keyboard, I have the latest catalyst drivers. I also have the latest bios.

I use NOD32 Antivirus with Ad-Aware + Spybot Search and Destroy.

Any help/advice would be great!

Advertisements

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
from what i could find on the video card on the internet (it isnt on most shopping site like newegg.com) it is a dated AGP card. i suggest a new one, as the card might just be dying. a nice AGP card for less than $100 is here.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I agree. the 9800 was a great card in its day, but is 5 years old now. If you have been keeping up with driver updates for the video card you might try going back a few versions and see if that helps.

I would also suggest that you update the gart driver. It is normally part of the chipset drivers for your system board. In this case it would be Intel (Intel 865PE Chipset).

I would also recommend that you use some canned air to blow out all of your fans, power supply, and video card to clean out all the dust bunnies and gunk that builds up over time.

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
i have to second the idea of cleaning out the pc with compressed air. you can get it at any local PC shop. i live in a house with 2 cats and a dog, so i know first hand that hair ca get in places you wouldnt think (like the disc drive xP)

Cab00s3

Cab00s3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i have cleaned it out recently, i am getting a new card on my new pc, lol its a 1 gig card but newayz, i would still like this one to work on this comp, I mean im getting low fps on Counter Strike 1.6 and Source which is ironic since the card was made to play Counter Strike Source, my chipset drivers i believe are up to date and i have previously tried reverting to former versions without sucess, my next step i guess is to try the omega drivers

I believe its a software issue since, well, it worked before....

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
like i said above, your 9800 is old, and might just be giving up on life *sniffle* let it die in peace

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
lets try http://drivercleaner.net/

let it uninstall all the ati drivers. Reboot and install a clean set of ati drivers. Lets see if that resolves it.

If it doesn't then you might try reloading the operating system. I know it's drastic, but it will ultimately rule out software issues.

Of course it could be for not, but these solutions don't cost any money, only time and effort.