Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build Advice

• Please log in to reply

Braincell

Braincell

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi there,

I'm building a new PC and I'm looking for some advice regarding my current parts list.

First off, this is supposed to be a gaming PC, but since I'm not a die-hard gamer, I wouldn't like to invest in things like SLI or overclocking. That said, I'm still hoping to build a more than decent PC which will run games adequately for the next 1-2 years (mmmm... Starcraft).

My current build:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor
HD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
RAM: OCZ Gold Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
PSU: OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply 100 - 240 V CB/CE/CSA/UL/FCC
GPU: EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
Monitor: Acer AL1916Ab Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1

I'll be happy enough using onboard sound card and I haven't picked out things like the case, keyboard etc.

My questions are:
1. Since I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to figuring out compatibilities and stuff, what motherboard would work well on this build? Also, did I pick out a part thats completely not right for the build?

2. Is the performance gain from the EVGA Geforce 8800GTX significantly better than the cheaper 8800GTS counterparts? I could potentially save $100 if the answer is no.

3. Any improvements to the build that you would recommend?

4. Who would win a fight between Chuck Norris and Batman?

Advertisements

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
Any MOBO that supports the Quad core technology will work. I would browse through http://www.newegg.co...el Motherboards here to find one you like. As far as the 8800's go the GTX does out perform the GTS, I have the GTS320mg/576Mhz and am satisfied, but I kind of wish I would have spent the xtra money for the higher end model. So my suggestion is go for what you really want then you won't second guess yourself. Batman would win, he has all the toys... :whistling: Oh yeah one more thing, pick out your RAM after you pick your motherboard. Everything else looks good tho'

Edited by MarkN, 21 July 2007 - 05:25 PM.

Braincell

Braincell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Alright, so I did a bit of mucking about and came up with this:

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

I have no idea about the difference between the P35 chipset and the nForce but the P35 looks newer so I picked that one. It also has 240-pin RAM connectors so it should work fine with the RAM I posted earlier (I think).

And just to finalize the build:

Case: Rosewill R5601-BK 0.8mm SECC Screw-less Dual 120mm Fans ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Optical: Sony NEC Optiarc Black...
Keyb+Mouse: Logitech Pro 2400 Silver/Black /w Standard Mouse <-- Gah! thats ugly. Must change this.
Speakers: Logitech X-230 32 Watts 2.1 Black Speakers

Total is coming out to be around $1500 incl. shipping. Pretty decent I think.

Any further comments/recommendations (or a slap on the face if I completely messed up the build :whistling: )? I still feel that the monitor I picked is not that great.

I'm planning to wait till the price drops on the Quad Cores and then place the order (1-2 days).

Edited by Braincell, 21 July 2007 - 07:04 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay it looks like a nice build there. Everything looks compatible. I think that Gigabyte P35 motherboard is the way to go. How about this for a keyboard/mouse combo?

For a monitor, Samsung and Viewsonic make great quality products (in Australia anyway, not quite sure about over there...)
And I have the X-230 speakers, they go pretty good for my needs.

Braincell

Braincell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Theres so many monitors to look at lol. I took your advice for the Samsungs and I liked this one.

SAMSUNG 216BW Black-Silver 21.6" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 3000:1(1000:1)

A bit more expensive than the Acer but its larger and has better quality I think. I'm still open to suggestions on the LCD though. I'm not sure which ones are good and which arent.

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
Some games don't play well on widescreens. I have to admit for the money I am really pleased with my Samsung 932B.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, MarkN's point is one to consider also. I personally think that widescreen monitors are the way to go, though you will need to look into this yourself and see what best suits your needs.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
definitely against the wide screen. the build looks good! i would look at the antec p180B though for a case as its the best you can really get. you might wanna look at a couple good 120MM fans to make this thing cooler and quieter!

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
I like wide screens, but technology in the gaming arena has not caught up as of yet. So I also stayed with a normal aspect ratio.

Braincell

Braincell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah, wide may not be the best to go... but it might be fun to watch movies on :whistling:
Is there a serious limitation with playing games on a widescreen? Don't most games support widescreen resolutions?

I'm also considering switching over from the quad core to the Core 2 Duo 1333MHz FSB. Any thoughts?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That could save you some dollars, although you'd have to consider the Core 2 Quad the latest processors from Intel, so if you could, I would strongly recommend you stay with the quad. Later on down the track if you want more power, you can always overclock, but you can't add more cores. I'm just quoting james8970 here, and the point is a good one.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Go widescreen without a doubt.
Games do support the widescreen resolution and the few new game that don't usually have a hack which will force the game to do so. Believe me when I say, once you've tried widescreen you'll never go back.
Widescreen is the future and you'll regret not going that route further down the road.
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 July 2007 - 09:57 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Heh heh... speaking of the devil... :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:whistling: