Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A question about XP Pro and installed programs.

• Please log in to reply

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I just want to make sure that I understand this before I do it.
If I set up a hard 200 G. hard drive with C: equaling about 50 G.'s and E: equaling about 150, and the OS goes into C and programs that I install are put in E, do I need to do anything else to get the OS and the programs to work together?
Or is it automatically interconnected?
I feel stupid for asking but I really don't know.
Thanks.
JST42DAY

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Usually the OS and programmes are installed to the same partition

Data can be on any partition

jrspie

jrspie

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks Keith.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Even if you install your Windows on C: and your programs on E: the programs will run as normal because the Windows Registry has entries telling it where all of the files are that are needed to run the program.

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
CMW2010,
Thanks for the help. I was curious about that too.
J.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as a note (just in case) the normal reason to have two partitions is so that you can restore your operating system without losing your data in the event of a failure or corruption

if you install windows on one partition and install your applications on another and you have to format the windows partition to reinstall windows...your applications WILL NO LONGER WORK...because very few actual portions of the software will really reside on the second partition with regards to the parts that make the programs function....even when you install a program to a seperate partition...it puts the important parts the are required to opperate the software on the system partition...

it's best to have on partition for the OS and applications and one partition for data files (like pictures and music)

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
From what little I've learned about pc's I think it's far better to just back up to an external hard drive and, if necessary, to a service such as MOZY.
Thanks for your help dsenette.
J.