Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.tmp folder trouble

• Please log in to reply

monkeygrudge

monkeygrudge

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
i'm having real problems with my c:\ drive.

Posted Image

as can be seen by the screensnip, i have .tmp folders and files, and the number keeps growing. not only am i prevented from creating new folders on the drive, i cannot delete these .tmp items en masse; attempts to do so are met with a "destination folder access denied" error, despite there being but a sole account on the machine. the only way to delete these things are to individually change the permissions for each item and send them to the bin, ONE AT A TIME. there are more than 200 of these on the drive, and as i have said, new ones are spawning. the TEMP dir sees sporadic use, but the contents of this folder cannot simply be deleted, either...and vista's disk cleaning utility is worthless.

i've tried a few things:
  • turning uac off
  • restarting in safe mode
  • checking the files/folders are not being shared
  • taking ownership of the files, folders, and the entire c:\ drive (windows REFUSES to cooperate on this matter. apparently, being the owner/administrator of the machine does not give me the right to have a machine that works properly.)
  • punching the keyboard
  • using every tool in the control panel in vain attempt to rectify
i am at a total loss. any ideas?

thanks,

dAVe

Attached Thumbnails

• hOmsnap.gif

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Ths should explain why an MSI package is placed in a temp folder:
http://en.wikipedia....ndows_Installer

monkeygrudge

monkeygrudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
sure, but why are these folders and files (which are empty) locked down as to essentially be non-removable? and why can i also not create any new folders? well, i can (see attached), but i cannot specify nor modify names, nor can i delete these folders.

i think this goes beyond my simple tmp snafu, but how it all relates is out of my reach...it's causing quite a bit of frustration, fury, and dismay.

Attached Thumbnails

• cdrivesnip.gif

I'm The K

I'm The K

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Alright,
I'm going to try to help, I had a similar problem (minus temp folders.) The way I fixed it was to make sure I was a TOTAL admin. Being an admin account without UAC isn't the same as being system Administrator. So Right CLick on your computer and say Manage (you can also do this by looking around under TOols on msconfig (run -> msconfig), in case you've closed explorer). Select Local Users and Groups and chose Users. Here you should see an Account described as

Built-in account for administering the computer/domain

This is the account you want. If it is disabled, enable it. Right click and say Properties. Make the boxes so they are as follows:

[ ] User Cannot Change Password
[x] Password Never Expires
[ ] Account is Disabled

Now, restart under safe mode (i trust you know how) and log into Administrator, the guy you just enabled. Respawning stuff means you keep running lots of installations or you've got an virus prob. While under safe mode, uninstall all apps that you torrented, cracked, warezed, what ever and get some nice scans going on. Use some utility to clean up startup and make sure there are no installations starting at startup. Make sure nothing is spyware, adware. Spybot can do this. Try deleting the files (SHIFT+DEL) now. If that doesn't work, then close all processes not labeled SYSTEM and delete from TskMngr (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC).
If all else fails, tell me if you fix it. Some of this stuff is bothering me too, but it's not large space.

monkeygrudge

monkeygrudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
tried.

failed.

this is especially frustrating because it's affecting my logitech mouse; the computer doesn't recognise the wheel's doubleclicks, and t's beyond infuriating. [this problem has existed since the trubba began.]