Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build Setup and Q's

• Please log in to reply

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
How about this for the PSU http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817341002 If I am using a single GTX? I read the reviews on the other power supply that was recommended, and it doesn't seem that good...

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

How about this for the PSU http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817341002 If I am using a single GTX? I read the reviews on the other power supply that was recommended, and it doesn't seem that good...

Yeah I was looking at this post the other day and didnt have time to respond. I was actually going to recommend you the same exact power supply you posted. The ocz power supplies are very good. Id definitely get that one.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I read the reviews on the other power supply that was recommended, and it doesn't seem that good...

Yeah I never read the reviews as I take them as a grain of salt on Newegg as generally all the users don't know what they are talking about, in that instance however it really seemed as if the PSU was junk. Enermax is a really high end PSU company, which surprises me that they still have that thing on the market after reading all those problems.
Look under FSP forton as the OCZ brand is a renamed FSP PSU, because of this you may be able to find the same PSU for the same price.
James

Edited by james_8970, 05 August 2007 - 10:10 PM.

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Since this is my first build ( I have taken apart and re-built computers before but those were about 10 years old so it was full of outdated parts ) could someone give me a link of something that has step by step instructions on how to build one? ( video or pictures would be great) I do have a book, but it only has like 4 pictures.....

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://www.daileyint...ild/ibuild1.htm

A quick google search found this, looks like it has a few pictures. A little out-dated but covers the basics, just follow the menus down. You might be able to find a better one yourself by searching.

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Do you think a system with 2gb ram, 8800 gts 320 oc'd and e6750 could run a need for speed pro at high settings? what about the same sustem for crysis?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No, current system will not be able to run Crysis on high, well maybe a quad with two 8800Utlra's in SLI. The thing is the graphics on crysis are supposed to fully utilize grahpics cards that are released 1 year after the game is released, so if it can use a card to it's full potential which will be released 18 month down the road (from today), then our cards are not going to be able to run the game at high settings.
As for need for speed pro streets, I'm not sure it looks like a pretty demanding game, so I will guess that no you will not be able to do max settings.
James

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
What about the same system except change the gts to a GTX in SLi? Can the quad run all games? I read a thing that said that some games will not run on quad..

Edited by phatjo911, 06 August 2007 - 11:11 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
All games will run on a quad, none will use all 4 cores, I believe there is only 2 or so games out right now that will use 2 cores.
I doubt any current setup will run Crysis on high.
James

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Will the C2D E6850 be better than the Q6600 for gaming without overclocking?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
That is correct. Higher clock rates will beat more cores, since no game will yet support 4 cores.
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
This is interesting... What about a quad core that has been overclocked?

Is the quad core coming out with the higher (1333) fsb soon?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If the quad is overclocked to a high frequency then the dual, then the quad will be better.
Yes there already is a quad with the 1333FSB, the Q6850.
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Any idea when a non-extreme version is coming? Where do you check out your release information?

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
How about this for the motherboard if I am going to be using a MSI GTX? - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130080