Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Packard Bell

• Please log in to reply

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
I gave a friend of mine a laptop not to long ago, but it was killed by lightning, He acquired a Packard Bell Pack-mate 7600. I have a Xp pro OS and was wondering if his computer could handle installing the XP pro OS on the older machine?

Edited by MarkN, 23 July 2007 - 04:38 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If it meets Windows XP Professional System Requirements.

Ron

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
That Packard Bell is from the early '90s and I can't find any specs on it, on the web or from Packard bell. So I guess he is out of luck...

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
He should be able to find specs from Accessories, then select System Tools, then click on System Information if the PC is even bootable. One that old is going to have a hard time running Win XP Pro without serious upgrades in memory and harddrive space most likely.

Ron

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
I will contact him tonight, as he works long hours up in the Poconos, and get the specs from him. Honestly tho' for the price of upgrading he can get a low budget computer from Wal-Mart for around $480. I saw one the other day there and it included a monitor. He is on a very low budget, that is why I sent him my laptop. But bad luck came into play when lightning struck his home and fried it and his phone.

Edited by MarkN, 24 July 2007 - 09:41 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Buying a new one along with installing a UPS would be a better solution. I bought a good hefty UPS for around $70.00 at RefurbUPS.com. If his credit is good, Dell has good laptops with low monthly payments. My opinion only, but I never liked Packard Bell. Sounds like he may want to add lightning protection to house installation and get lightning insurance.

Ron