Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Price cuts?

• Please log in to reply

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Well, July 22nd has come and gone and we were supposed to be looking at some nice price cuts for Intel CPUs. $266 for a Q6600 and $183 for the new E6750 is what I had read.

However, I don't know if this is widespread, but Newegg sure doesn't seem to be taking Intel's suggested prices to heart. Yesterday, they made some progress, with the Q6600 down to $299. Tonight, however, it jumped back to $325, and just recently it went up again to $375! And the new E6750 was $225 a few hours ago, now $235. Is there any reason these price cuts haven't taken place, other than Newegg (and other sites I'm sure) wanting to cash in? Also, does anyone know of a reputable site where the prices are at least somewhat close to Intel's suggested prices?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Newegg is known to change prices a lot according to demand. Also they could have bought processors for more money and want to sell that inventory first before they give cheaper rates.
Give it time, over here in canada the quad was cut down more then 300$. We are sitting at 289$ for the Q6600, in time you guys will be lower. If you can wait the G0 steping will begin to be sold on the 27th of July depending on how many processors of the old stepping (B3) have been sold. The advantages will be having a 95W TDP compared to the older 105W TDP, this will result in a cooler chip thus better overclocker, also the quad will be able to withstand another 11*C higher then the older chip before the chip begins to depleat. Not a huge change to many but enough to make me wait, besides I'll be gone 3 weeks in augest, so I'm in no rush :whistling:
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 July 2007 - 10:18 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The G0 thing is interesting, I heard a little about it... but my question is... how do you tell if you are getting one with the G0 stepping? Because under specs on Newegg, I see no mention of any stepping. And even if I order after the 27th, what if they send me an old one? How will I know?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There is a difference in the serial code(just like the revision on the 680i, the regular, the A1 and the T1), so in other words you wouldn't know till you got the chip, newegg as well as everyone else is refusing to hand pick which ones are what stepping as it would obviously require ALOT of ressources and man power to do so and not worth it in any case. If you wait till mid augest you would probably get one but not 100%, again as Intel stated it all depends how many of the processors sell, only this will determine how long it will take for the G0 stepping to get into the consumers hands.
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 July 2007 - 10:26 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Sorry for all the questions, but...

1. Do all the new c2ds (E6x50s) have the G0 stepping already?
2. Once I receive the processor, can I then easily tell what stepping it has? Because I would probably RMA it was easy to tell it had the B3 stepping.
3. I was thinking of buying a 680i board (unless you can tell me when the X38s will be out)... so which is the best type? I thought A1, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you really want this processor not, zipzoomfly is selling them for 295$ and NCIX.com (canadian company) is selling them for 267$ USD.
http://www.ncixus.co...562Q6600/Intel/
It's a reliable site that I use all the time if your wondering, they are generally more expensive when compared to other US sites as they generally transfer everything from canadian dollars to american and electronics are just more money in canada when compared to the US, they have to be pretty heavily taxed somewhere along the line......maybe when it crosses the border, but I'm not sure.
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Actually, what I really want is the E6750... It's going to be a gaming computer, it's higher clock makes it better for gaming, as no game I know of really uses more than 2 cores.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I have heard yes all the 6x50 do then I have heard from other that the only the Q6600 and 2 xeon's will get the new G0 stepping. I've been looking around on Intel site for official information and will keep you updated when I do find this out :whistling:
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 July 2007 - 11:22 PM.