Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restarts very often

• Please log in to reply

dmcbass

dmcbass

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I have XP SP2 loaded on an AMD XP2400 on an Asus A7N8Xe Deluxe MB. 1GB ram, 80 Gig WD hardrive. Nvidia 6600GT video card.
Over the last couple of months the machine has started freezing up or restarting with no warning. I just finished reloading XP after a complete format of the HD. I had to try about 6 times for the SP2 to finish from the CD I received from Microsoft. I looked at the event log and the majority of the error I see are Application Errors but it sure does seem like hardware to me.
What do you suggest?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dmcbass...

There are a number of things that can cause this. A bad or weak power supply and overheating are the most common. Download and install SpeedFan...run it on the machine and monitor the temperatures and voltages. Post back with the temperatures you see right after starting the machine and those that you see after the machine has been running for a while. If possible, screenshots of the information found under the "Readings" tab are often helpful to us.

wannabe1

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
OK, this is what I have found

Startup
Posted Image
Running 1 hour
Posted Image

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Temp 1 is a little high and is actually bordering on critical in the second image. Does it get warmer than that if you work the machine harder...like when you play a game or open a video file?

The voltages are all within the acceptable range.

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Since I have just reloaded this machine, I have no games on it. But, it can be sitting idle and restart.
What is the device for the Temp with the flame?
I have another fairly new power supply that I can swap out if you want to try that.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Temp 1 is usually the processor. Is the CPU cooler clean and the thermal paste between the cooler and processor in good shape? How about the CPU fan? Is it spinning up and running without excessive noise? The device with the flame is where there was no sensor found...it will display 127*C by default.

At this point, I don't believe the power supply is the problem.

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I am fairly anal about keeping the case, coolers and fans clean. Just in case, I will clean everything again and apply new thermal grease to the cooler. I will inform you of the temp after I complete this.

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
OK, after giving the machine a good cleaning, I installed a different cooler and new thermal grease. Here is the startup:
Posted Image

This one is after installing MS Office 2003 Pro... (it did restart and give me a 32 win error)
Posted Image

I just took a look at it just now and it is idling at 45C.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's a little better. Click the up arrow next to Speed01...does the rpm's on fan 1 increase?

Open Control Panel (Classic View) and double click the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click the "Settings" button. In the Startup and Recovery properties window, remove the tick from the box next to "Automatically Restart" and "Apply" the change. This will allow Windows to generate a BSOD if the system restarts unexpectedly. Should it do so, copy all the numbers and any file names associated with the error...post them here for me.

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Sorry I have been away for a bit... I will do as you suggest and get back to you.

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
ok, been running pretty good but had a Blue Screen this morning. Here is the error from the event viewer.
Posted Image
Hope it helps

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
The dreaded Blue Screens have now started to happen. If you need the codes let me know. Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That particular error is indicative of bad RAM. Download the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, create the bootable disk as suggested (either floppy or CD), boot the machine to it, and let it run for at least an hour. Let me know if it reports any failures.

A fluctuating or weak power supply can also cause this, but RAM is more often responsible.

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I replaced the memory with a similar set I was not using. I ran 3DMark with 2 different video cards and let it run for a couple of hours. It never restarted, froze or even hiccuped. The temp still is around 42-43C. I will run the Microsoft Memory Diagnostic tool on the new memory and then the older to see what happens. I will post my results.
But from what I have seen in the short time I have used the new memory, looks like the memory was the culprit.
Thanks for you awesome help! :whistling: