Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply

Nasty_Nate

Nasty_Nate

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Heya guys,

For a few days now, my ISp raised my internet speed, its a stable 400 kb/s now. But since then, i`v been getting lag spikes in game, not too big ones, but they still stop me from fully enjoying the game. I have called them several times, they probably think i`m crazy now, but they keep saying they see no problems with my internet.

When i ping my ISPs main site, no lag, and no packet loss, BUT when i ping my gateways IP, a lot of pag spikes and packet losses, similar to the ones in my online games. Now, could it be that my ISP overloaded their network, or is teh gatway router flooded.

I really hope you guys can help. Any additional info i`ll provide, just ask.

Cheers. :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

BUT when i ping my gateways IP, a lot of pag spikes and packet losses, similar to the ones in my online games. Now, could it be that my ISP overloaded their network, or is teh gatway router flooded.

which gateway are you pinging?...like where'd you get that ip from?

When i ping my ISPs main site, no lag, and no packet loss,

again...whered you get this info to ping this?

Nasty_Nate

Nasty_Nate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

BUT when i ping my gateways IP, a lot of pag spikes and packet losses, similar to the ones in my online games. Now, could it be that my ISP overloaded their network, or is teh gatway router flooded.

which gateway are you pinging?...like where'd you get that ip from?

When i ping my ISPs main site, no lag, and no packet loss,

again...whered you get this info to ping this?

First of all, i used an "ipconfig /all" to see my gateway. And i just pinged my ISPs main site, pinged the url directly. Thats what the tech guy did when he came out to check what the problems is, and to my disapointment found nothing :whistling:

Anyway, should i tell them about this problem ? is it normal to have so much lost packets with my gateway?

Edited by Nasty_Nate, 25 July 2007 - 08:08 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
your gateway (as in your default gateway from IPCONFIG) is a device inside your home...this is either a router or your DSL modem that your PC connects to....not something OUTSIDE of your house

could you describe your physical connection setup? include make and model numbers where you can.

when they "upped" your speed...did they replace your modem?

Nasty_Nate

Nasty_Nate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

your gateway (as in your default gateway from IPCONFIG) is a device inside your home...this is either a router or your DSL modem that your PC connects to....not something OUTSIDE of your house

could you describe your physical connection setup? include make and model numbers where you can.

when they "upped" your speed...did they replace your modem?

I have Cable internet. The TV cable goes in my modem, which is a Scientific-Atlanta, Webstar EPC2203, then goes directly to my PC with a LAN cable. I dont use a router, and no, they didint replace anything.

I know i`m a hard case but i`v run out of options.

You say that the gateway is my modem, so if i have packet losses with the gateway, the problem has to be between the modem and my PC, right ?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...or an issue with the modem responding to ping requests directly...do you get the same ping results pinging different web pages?

Nasty_Nate

Nasty_Nate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

yeah...or an issue with the modem responding to ping requests directly...do you get the same ping results pinging different web pages?

Yeah, sometimes, but its mostly my gameplay thats effected by these lag spikes. I have an onboard network card, should i switch for a normal one ? Could that help ?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it might...i don't want to tell you to buy hardware for a shot in the dark though....but nic cards are pretty cheap

Nasty_Nate

Nasty_Nate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

it might...i don't want to tell you to buy hardware for a shot in the dark though....but nic cards are pretty cheap

I`ll try it, thanks a lot for the help.