Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with External USB Portable Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I have Windows XP with SP2 and all the latest updates installed.

I just purchased a Western Digital 250 Gig Passport Portable Hard Drive to use as a backup. I formatted it as NTFS. Whenever I plug it into my computer, Windows finds it and I am able to then copy files to/from it. But after a minute or so, I then get a message saying "Windows - Delayed Write Failed." The hard drive then dismounts and remounts. I can start transferring files again, but the same thing happens after a short amount of time.

I have tried using another USB cord, other USB ports, but still have the same problem. I should also mention that I have owned a Western Digital 120 Gig Passport Portable Hard Drive for almost a year, and have had no problems with it. I am able to transfer files to and from it with no problems.

I did a search online, and many people have experienced this same problem, with different types of drives. I saw listed numerous places references to Microsoft's KB908673 and KB330174. I tried all of the workarounds and fixes in there but am still experiencing the problem.

I called Western Digital, but they swear the problem is with my USB ports. And they just referenced me to the same KB articles I listed above. I don't think the problem is with my USB ports, since the 120 gig works properly but the 250 gig does not.

Any help would be appreciated!

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
connect the drive and open up my computer ... right click the drive and choose properties then go to the hardware tab...find the drive in that list and click properties, then click the policies tab...tick the "optomize for quick removal" button and press apply

any better?

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Dsenette,

Thanks for the reply, but that didn't have any effect. That was actually one of the suggestions of one of the KB articles. It worded it a little differently...it said to clear the "Enable write caching on the disk" check box, but I didn't have that option, so I just did what you suggested. I tried it on just the USB drive and even did it on all the drives, but it didn't have any effect.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

mike.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
UPDATE: I found this: http://www.tomshardw...ed-write-failed

It says that to fix the problem, the user unchecked the "1394 connection" setting in Windows firewall. Now, I use Zonealarm, not Windows Firewall, but it has a similar setting. I will attempt this fix when I get home. However, the thing that worries me is...if that were the problem, wouldn't I have experienced problems with both the 120 gig and 250 gig drives?

I'll give it a shot anyway, and will let you know if it works.

mike.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I tried the option where I disabled my firewall, but that didn't have any effect.

Then I decided to try something else...this whole time, I've been plugging the 250 Gig device into one of the two front USB ports. I decided to try plugging it into one of the rear ports, and it worked without a problem. I would appreicate any insight someone might have as to why it would work with a rear port but not a front one, especially since the 120 Gig drive works with any of them.

It would be helpful if you had any suggestions as to how to fix it as well?

Thanks,
mike.

EDIT: came across this: http://www.belowtops...hread273272/pg1

Edited by diggeryo, 25 July 2007 - 09:04 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
one of two things...the front ports might be set to turn off automatically if not in use....or (if the HD doesn't have it' own power plug) the front pnes might be under voltage for the newer drive?