Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build Difficulty

• Please log in to reply

Doc Comic

Doc Comic

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey there. I've been around computers for around twelve years now, and I just now decided to build my own rig. Of course, I knew there was bound to be problems, but not like this.

First, my specs:
Biostar TF570 mobo
2 x 1GB 240-pin DDR2 800 RAM
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB PCI-E x16
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.5Ghz AM2 CPU
Western Digital Caviar 250GB HD
Lite-On DVD Burner
Rosewill RP550-2 550W PS

The mobo has four LEDs inside to monitor progress. There's LED1, LED2, LED_DIMM, and LED_5SB. Now, regardless of what I have hooked in and where I have the mobo hooked up (believe me, I've tried everything), the only two LEDs that light up are the DIMM and 5SB. Unfortunately, the instruction manual says there's only two LEDS - LED1 and LED2 - and neither are on, which according to the manual means there's a failure somewhere. On top of that, the fan on the power supply isn't going on, nor is the light within that. I'm hoping somebody here is familiar with these parts so I can know if I have a faulty mobo or power supply.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
At the moment, it sounds like your power supply is faulty. If it's not giving enough power to any of your components, then that may be why your motherboard will light up wonky. That's my guess anyway. Are you able to get another power supply to test and confirm this?

EDIT: oh and welcome to Geeks to Go! I just noticed it's your first post, the first of many (I hope) :whistling:

Edited by ruthandtroy, 26 July 2007 - 05:35 AM.

Doc Comic

Doc Comic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the welcome!

No, I don't have an available power supply. I do, however, have a voltage meter. According to the meter, none of the leads have power, and only 3 of the 24 pins to the motherboard have power. Is this normal, or do I have a faulty power supply yet again?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I don't know how to read a voltage meter results, but I'm guessing that doesn't sound good! My suggestion would be to RMA the power supply...

Doc Comic

Doc Comic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This would be the second RMA I've done on it. If somebody else can verify my meter results to make sure it's not supposed to be like that, then I'll RMA it.

Edited by Doc Comic, 26 July 2007 - 10:02 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I personally haven't heard of the Rosewill brand except that I've seen it on newegg recently once helping on these forums. I recommend you go for a better brand like PC Power and Cooling or Silverstone, something like that. Sure it'll be a little more expensive but they are top-quality items.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Roswill is a lower quality brand. Are you sure that both the 24pin connector and the 4pin +12v connector is secured? If you get something else I wouldn't go all out on a PC Power and Cooling but if you have the money then you can't beat them.

Doc Comic

Doc Comic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Are you sure that both the 24pin connector and the 4pin +12v connector is secured?

4 pin? For the motherboard, the power supply has a 20-pin, then two extra 4-pins (one of which is used with the 20 pin to get the full 24, the other one I don't know), and an 8-pin in the additional power.

Doc Comic

Doc Comic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Update! The LED_5SB light goes off if I hold down the power button on the mobo or on the case. When I hit it again, it goes back on.

Doc Comic

Doc Comic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Anything?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I think Titan was referring to the CPU power connector, which is a separate 4-pin connecter that usually fits somewhere close to where the CPU is. Is this connected properly?

Doc Comic

Doc Comic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I believe so, yes.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Perhaps you could try completely disconnecting all cords and then reseating them one by one, ensuring they are properly connected each time. I'm sure you probably did this the first time, but I don't think it would hurt to try it again, just to be sure.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Do you have another board you can test your power supply on? If not you can get a tester for about $15-20: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16899129001. Make sure that the +/- are correct on the power button hookup of the board/case. If you are not sure if they are correct then switch them around and give it a test. It won't hurt anything.

Edited by Titan8990, 29 July 2007 - 12:00 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Do you have another board you can test your power supply on? If not you can get a tester for about $15-20: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16899129001. Make sure that the +/- are correct on the power button hookup of the board/case. If you are not sure if they are correct then switch them around and give it a test. It won't hurt anything.

Titan, I assume this is what he was talking about in post #3...