Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Deskjet 710c printer problem

• Please log in to reply

MicheleL

MicheleL

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I don't know if anyone can help but I am having problems with my HP Deskjet 710c printer. When I go to print it usually makes a noise as if to start but then an error message appears. I think it is some sort of software problem as I have two printers both 710c's and I have tried both and both parallel port leads and the same thing happens with both. I have uninstalled the printer and re-installed it and the same thing happens.

Sometimes it will print a whole document or part of one and then stop and other times nothing at all. The power on light then flashes on and off. I have tried the printers on another computer and they work fine. I am running Windows XP.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is the error covered here

http://h10025.www1.h...n...307&lang=en

MicheleL

MicheleL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I had a look on there for what a flashing power light means and have tried all that it suggests and the only bit that I can find that it could be is the bit that says "If the printer prints, then the problem was with the main computer, possibly a software or device conflict." Which is what I thought as I know it works on another computer. I can't work out what the conflict can be though as I haven't added anything to the computer lately and it used to work fine.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you checked the list of installed programmes on this PC against the installed programmes on the PC which runs the printer

You can download tune up

http://www.tune-up.com

Click the yellow desktop icon, click start up manager, remove the ticks for everything with the exception of the firewall, anti virus and any anti spyware programmes, close tune up

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm

Restart the PC and check the printer

MicheleL

MicheleL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the advice I tried that and the 1st document didn't print at all so I deleted that from the print queue and tried again, the next document printed half and then stopped. The next one didn't print at all. The one thing that I have noticed all the time is that when I delete the document that hasn't printed it takes ages to delete it but the ones after also waiting to be printed delete immediately, I don't know if that means anything? It usually says deleting until I turn off the computer and restart it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

Occasionally the system file check does not start using run, so you can also right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow then click OK

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Then can you stop the print spooler with their workaround (XP is further down)

http://h10025.www1.h...n...922&lang=en

Then click start, printers and faxes, right click the printer, click properties, click advanced

Put the dot in print directly to printer, click apply

Try the printer

MicheleL

MicheleL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

Just tried that still no luck. :whistling:

The box came up that said it was printing, then I got the "this document failed to print" message.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Just a quick thought (if I may butt in here) is:

Has the printer ever worked properly?
Are you able to connect to the computer using a different cable (i.e. swap it for a different one)?

MicheleL

MicheleL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

The printer has been working fine for years, it has only just developed this fault. As mentioned in my first post I have tried it with another cable but still the same problem and I have also tried it with an identical model printer and also the same problem but they work on a laptop. This leads me to think that for some reason there is now some sort of conflict between the printer and my computer although I haven't changed anything or added anything new! :whistling:

I have ordered a parallel to usb cable so that I can connect it via the usb incase the problem is with the parallel port itself.

Fingers crossed.

Edited by MicheleL, 02 August 2007 - 08:42 PM.

MicheleL

MicheleL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

Just thought I would update this post.

I got a parallel to usb cable and since then the printer has worked fine, so I can only assume I have some problem with the parallel port on my computer. I don't think this will be a problem though as the only thing ever plugged in to it was the printer and now that is working off a usb port instead.

Many thanks to everyone who replied with advice on this problem :whistling:

MicheleL

Edited by MicheleL, 13 September 2007 - 07:59 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Great work - glad you got it sorted! Thanks for letting us know! :whistling: