Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drivers for Linux

• Please log in to reply

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Where can i download drivers for Linux that I need. Like my modem driver. Ac-link conexant modem....
I am running pclinuxos 2007 and windows xp pro on my laptop. I have the drivers working on windows xp but they do not show up in Linux. Thanks

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Where can i download drivers for Linux that I need. Like my modem driver. Ac-link conexant modem....
I am running pclinuxos 2007 and windows xp pro on my laptop. I have the drivers working on windows xp but they do not show up in Linux. Thanks

Many times the manufacturer will offer linux drivers or people write ones when one is not available. Conexant redirects to the following site for Linux drivers.

http://www.linuxant....edd7d602f7f21cc

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I can get the driver from linuxant. But they only give me a crippled version. They want me to pay for the full version. Is there anywhere I can get the complete driver. The vendor is Acer Labs Inc. It is an M5457 Ac-Link Codem Interface Controller. The vendor id is 0x10b9. The Device Id is 0x5457. The Bus is PCI.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I know it sounds bad, but I tend to go through the distros, and usually the live ones, until I find the one that has all the drivers, so if for example if I cannot install kubuntu, I try knoppix, gentoo, debian, or some other seeing that there are so many distros out there, the other idea is to go to the forum of the distro because there one is likely to find someone who knows where the driver is, or at least can say clearly that the driver for linux doesn't exist.

also, I would keep an eye out for upgrades because whereas a distro perhaps didn't have the driver you want before the latest version to come out might have the driver on tap, the change in availibility even over the last year has been great.

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
Since you are dual booting, you could use the xp driver and use a wrapper for linux. However, I do not know how to do this.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Linux drivers have always been a bit behind as compared to Windows. There are drivers for most hardware that is older than six months. The introduction of the 2.6 kernel has made the installation of drivers much easier since you don't have to compile the driver modules into the kernel you just have to have the driver headers loaded in the kernel. Most pre-compiled kernels have more headers included then the average user will need and most Distros have more drivers that work out of the box than any Windows OS I've ever installed. I've used Live Linux CD's to download Windows drivers for the same PC that aren't there out of the box. (Ethernet controllers seem to not be in Microsoft's list of needed software)

As to finding drivers, the distribution forums are the best source of information for finding drivers.

There are numerous sites that can help find what you need.

http://www.linux-drivers.org/
http://www.linux.org...ware/index.html
http://www.linuxhardware.org/
http://www.linuxques...index.php/cat/5

There are proprietary drivers available as you have found and not all are free. I like Cannon printers and have paid for drivers. The savings on the price of ink made that choice easy. Today today most hardware manufactures either have or are working to develop drivers for Linux.

As far as using "Wrappers" the only one I'm aware of and use is a NDISwrapper for Broadcom Wireless cards. I used it to set up the wireless on my laptop and it took less than five minutes (that included downloading the Windows driver and *.ini file with the ethernet connection that worked out of the box).

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Ok, I found some drivers, but I do not know how to insall them. I'm sorry, but I am completely new to Linux. Can you give me some directions?

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
there should be README or INSTALL text file that came with the download. It will show you the steps required.

Many times you will need to do
./configure && make && sudo make install

in the source directory of the driver

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
The installation instructions do not help. They tell me to run the rpm installation file, but when i try to run it, it asks what program i want to use and none of them work. So I am not able to install anything...

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
See If you can find either a .deb or a .tar.gz. Some packages are .tar.bz. Deb files you can install with Synaptic. Tar packages you have to extract and install form terminal.

You may also be able to use "Alien" to convert the RPM to a DEB. If Alien isn't installed it should be in the repositories for your Distro. The problem with Alien is the converted package aren't always clean and can have dependency issues which is why I prefer source (.tar.gz) packages.

To use Alien open a terminal: alien /<package>.rpm

Source packages depend on the the package. The "Read Me" should have instructions. It can be as easy as: " sudo ./install" to having to configure then make install then install.

Advertisements

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Ok. I extracted the .tar.gz package. I have the following folder: imported, inf, modules, packages, scripts. I also have the following files in the first directory along with those folders: BUGS, CHANGES, config.mak, CREDITS, FAQ, hcfmodem.spec.in, hcrpcimodem.spec, INSTALL, LICENSE, makefile, README. I have read the installation instructions when i open the INSTALL file, but they do not make sense because the files it tells me to look for are not there...

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Since you are running PCLinux 2007, you should be able to log into /root and open a terminal in the extracted folder. Type in "./install" (no quotes)

You should be able to use Synaptic to install the .rpm since PCLinux uses .rpm package management.

My bad for not paying attention to the OP. I thought you were using Ubuntu.

Edited by silverbeard, 27 July 2007 - 10:01 PM.

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I tried to run a terminal in the extracted package, but when i type in the command, i get an error message saying no such file.

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
When I try to open the .rpm package with synaptic i get an error message:

KDEInit could not launch 'gksu'.:
Could not find 'gksu' executable.

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
have you tried opening the rpm file via konqueror?