Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to transfer files from ME to Vista?

• Please log in to reply

tvanzee

tvanzee

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I am currently looking to purchase a laptop to replace my current computer (HP Pavilion desktop, Windows ME). However, before making this decision and purchase, I am a little concerned about being able to transfer files from my old system to my new, as some of the methods of transfer I have looked into are not compatible with ME.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on the best products and/or processes to transfer about 9GB of files (mainly image and music files) from my Windows ME desktop to a laptop operating on Windows Vista. Of course, the lower potential expenses, the better!

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

tvanzee

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The best method in your situation is to fit a dvd-writer to your ME system, write your files to DVD (should get 9GB of data on 2 or 3 discs which hold 4.7GB each). I'm surprised you don't have that amount of data already backed up to something).

Another possibility is to buy an external hard disk housing, fit your HP's hard disk into it and connect it up to your new laptop via USB. You will see this external disk as a drive letter on your laptop and you can transfer all your files from one to the other quite easily. I suggest you 'copy' them to your laptop and leave them on the external disk as a backup.

Edited by pip22, 27 July 2007 - 12:42 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Pip's idea of an external hard disk housing is very good as you should have one set up for backups anyway. They run about $30 and less if on sale at newegg.com. Once you have all your files on your new PC, I would recommend getting one of the 120 GB drives that fits the new external hard disk housing to replace the old one. Then just backup your files again to new drive. You never know if the old drive is close to failure although some manufacturer's have diagnostic tools to check them.

Ron

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
To add to your choices, if the two machines are connected to a router you can use an FTP client and server combination to move files between them. Normally you would put the server on the machine you are moving the files to. You can find a nice set here:

http://www.ftpshell.com