Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Volume Information folder

• Please log in to reply

Ken Gash

Ken Gash

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I cannot see any sign of the System Volume Information folder in Explorer or any other file browser program I try.
It is not grayed out, it is not there. When I enter Tools, Folder Options, View, the Show hidden files and folders
is selected. As a matter of fact, if I then select Do not show hidden files and folders, the next time I open View,
it has gone back to Show hidden files and folders!
Even though hidden folders should therefore show, the SVI folder remains hidden.
I have examined my system by booting with BartPE XPE and there is the SVI folder with all the restore points, etc.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Ken Gash

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
There's another option you need to change in Folder Options->View, and that's the "Hide protected operating system files". By default it's enabled so you need to disable it, then answer "yes" to the warning and click 'OK' to save the new setting. The SVI folder should now be visible in the root of the C: drive.

Ken Gash

Ken Gash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

There's another option you need to change in Folder Options->View, and that's the "Hide protected operating system files". By default it's enabled so you need to disable it, then answer "yes" to the warning and click 'OK' to save the new setting. The SVI folder should now be visible in the root of the C: drive.

Yes, I have disabled and/or reset all of the needed options in View. Still no joy.

Ken Gash

Ken Gash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks to all, I have solved the problem. There was some incorrect values in the registry, specifically in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder
that I corrected and all was fixed.