Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Acts Very Strange on Startup

• Please log in to reply

livingaftermidnight

livingaftermidnight

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, guys. I'm quite new here so if I put this in the wrong forum forgive me. So I've had this computer for about two years and I never really ever shut it down. It's always either on or in standby mode. Recently I noticed that when I tried to restart it, the computer would get past the bios stuff and start to load windows xp and then the moniter would click off but not shut off, it would go into the mode where no input is being sent to it. Then the computer lights are on, and the hard drive LED is solid on, and one of my cd-rw drives lights is solid on too. So I try to put in my windows xp cd and startup windows recovery console, and then I do a chkdsk /p, fixboot, fixmbr and sometimes it'll work. Sometimes it'll even allow me to load regular windows, and sometimes when I try to goto any safemode iteration it just does the same crap.

I reformatted my harddrive after backing up all my important files, and then after it was complete I put my backup files back on it and then eventualy I noticed that the problem was still there. I cannot confirm that putting my files back on the computer was the cause because I didn't make sure the problem was fixed before I put them back on it.

I do not like the looks of this. A updated virus scan from http://housecall.antivirus.com revealed nothing. Sometimes the computer will fall into this state of hanging-ness while I'm in windows. About fifteenminutes ago I tried to post this on the forum and I got finished with the post but then I went into my control panel and clicked on performance and settings and then it DID THE SAME THING IT DOES WHEN I TRY TO RESTART! The computer moniter clicked off and my computer stopped responding. This is mindboggling. I hope someone here can help me trouble shoot it. The computer has been blessing for two years and now it's sick. Thanks!

Advertisements