Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing often when media plays

• Please log in to reply

RandomUserName

RandomUserName

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
This has been an ongoing thing -- I don't know for how long. After a while I just decided to deal with it but now it's really getting on my nerves.

There are times when my entire computer freezes. Everything, including the mouse. And the speakers make a strange noise as well. I'm not sure how to explain it ... if anyone has ever played a video game, and had it freeze on them, it's similar to that.

Now, it freezes at certain times. Such as ...

When I'm playing a video on youtube.com or veoh.com ... playing music in my media player ... playing music ANYWHERE ... working in Windows Movie Maker .... basically, doing anything involving media in some way.

It won't happen right away though. I'll watch a few videos on youtube, and when I get to like, oh let's just randomly say, the sixteenth, then it'll freeze. Or if I've been playing various songs.

And it's really frustrating. Because sometimes I'll be playing music and working on something, and everything will freeze and I'll have to press the button on my CPU to turn off my computer and restart it.

If anyone can help me find a fix to this, I'll be so grateful ... thanks in advance. ^^

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi welcome to greektogo sounds like system overload, various way to lighten your system to think about, also do you have the latest java, also I like vlc for dvd playing, lets start from there then.

RandomUserName

RandomUserName

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

hi welcome to greektogo sounds like system overload, various way to lighten your system to think about, also do you have the latest java, also I like vlc for dvd playing, lets start from there then.

Yes; system overload, I've heard that mentioned around when I post on tech support forums about my computer's issues. Problem is, I never quite understand how to prevent that. I'm unsure if I have the latest java, I'll check right now.. I have Java Platform Standard Edition 6 (build 1.6.0_01-b06) I think that's the latest? I was on java's website but it doesn't tell me straight out the newest version. And about DVD playing, I don't use my computer to play DVDs ... I have a drive for it, but unforunately it doesn't work. Recognizes regular discs but not DVDs; it doesn't really matter to me anyway, I don't need it I have a DVD player XD;

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
here is the link to VLC, as I think it may work better for playing your DVDs and other types of things. it is free too.

http://www.download....4-10717934.html

http://portableapps....eo/vlc_portable

Edited by fleamailman, 06 August 2007 - 11:10 AM.