Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build - Power switches off when ram installed

• Please log in to reply

drkphx

drkphx

• Pip
  • 3 posts
After assembling all of the components and switching on the computer the power stays on for a second or two and then switches off. It only does it if there is any ram installed. If I take the ram out the power will stay on and report a memory error. The system consists of a MSI P6N SLI Platinum motherboard, a E6750 CPU, EVGA 8800 GTS 640MB, and 4Gb G.Skill ram. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by drkphx, 28 July 2007 - 07:25 AM.

Advertisements

drkphx

drkphx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
After playing with the cables for 20 mins it finally POSTed. I looked around around in BIOS, was watching the temps, but didn't change anything. I restarted the thing a couple of times and then it started acting strange again. The power would come on for a brief second and then turn right back off. I hadn't changed anything. I didn't even move it. Now it will come on and stay on but all I get is a blank screen and no error messages. Anyone know what is wrong with this thing?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Reduce the memory to less than 4Gb and see what happens. Some boards don't like it with all four slots full.

drkphx

drkphx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Tried that it worked for a couple of reboots and then the power started shutting off right after I turn it on. Now the D-bracet won't even give me an error message.