Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System reboots whilst starting up.

• Please log in to reply

Asukiy

Asukiy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My system reboots as soon as it gets part the screen asking if I want to start windows normally or in safe mode ( it does not matter which option I choose). Before this happened the PC was freezing a lot in windows (even after a reformat). Any ideas to what might be the problem? Thanks :whistling:

Edited by Asukiy, 30 July 2007 - 07:05 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Use the link in my signature to download Microsoft memory test utility and create a bootable CD. Insert the disk into a cd drive and boot the computer. Let the program run for 30 minutes or so and report if there are any errors.

Do you know the name of the manugacturer of the hard disk. If not, open the computer box, check and report back. I'll direct you to a link where you can download and create a bootable hard disk test program.

Asukiy

Asukiy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the quick response.

I just ran the memory test and there were no errors. I did have to reset the machine half way through as the first time I tried the test it froze up. Perhaps it could be a faulty PSU? I don't really have a lot of experience so I can't tell. My HDD is made by Maxtor. Would be great if you could give me a link.

Thanks.

Edited by Asukiy, 29 July 2007 - 10:24 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Use the link Seagate Bootable in my signature. Seagate bought maxtor and the same tool is good for both.

It is very possible that the psu is faulty and that's certainly one of the first things that the people in the lab would try, replacing the psu, but we don't want to buy parts at this stage before making some basic tests. However, if you can get a replacement power supply, even from an old computer, try to relace it. It's quite easy.

Asukiy

Asukiy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Didn't seem to get any errors doing the long scan from that either. Although before the test it said overtemp 253 and asked if I wanted to continue. It also froze the first time I tried to run the test.

Any other ideas?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Since you say that format didn't help I exclude, for the moment, an operating system problem.

1: Please enter the BIOS by clicking the DEL or F2 keys repeatedly, immediately after you press the power button. Somewhere in the menus, under Computer Health Monitor or something like that, you will see cpu, motherboard and HD temperatures. You will also see various voltages. Let the computer run for about 15 minutes, write down and report all these values.

2: Before getting out of BIOS choose to set it to default values. Save the values and exit.

3: If you have two video connections at the back of the computer move the monitor cable to the other connection and see what happens.

Asukiy

Asukiy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
22C - System temperature
35C - CPU temperature
DDR25V - Ok
+3.3V - Ok
+12V - Ok

Were the starting temperatures.

I only ran it for 5 minutes as after that is froze up-

26C - System
50C CPU
DDR25V - Fail
+3.3V - Fail
+12V - Fail

I assume those changed from OK to fail just before it froze ;p. Does that mean my PSU is knackered? Haha.

Edited by Asukiy, 30 July 2007 - 06:46 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I suggest that you replace the psu. You can buy a generic one, they are just as good and, where I live, cost about 20 US$ for a 500 watt unit.

Asukiy

Asukiy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok thanks for the help mate. I will order a PSU today and post back in a few days!

Asukiy

Asukiy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The connection between the 20 pin motherboard power plugged had burnt out. Lucky there was no fire maybe. THe plastic around 6 of the pins on the motherboard power plug has burnt away so the motherboard might aswell be thrown away I think. I fitted a new motherboard and PSU and hopefully it wont go wrong now :whistling:. Still not sure what caused it though. Likely to be PSU I think. Hope it wasn't the floppy drive causing it otherwise I'll need a another mobo in a few weeks! Haha.