Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDE & SATA Issues?

• Please log in to reply

unstablefears

unstablefears

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
After I put together my build I had plugged in my old IDE harddrive,which had windows on it, and my DVD ROM. Everything started fine, so I put in my SATA drive, put my DVD ROM as master and my old HD as slave. I did this because I wanted to remove Windows from my old hard drive and place it on my new SATA one.

I was able to start the Windows installation, but after it loaded all the drivers, it gave this error on a blue screen:

STOP C0000221 Unknown Hard Error
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

I tried searching google for it, but all I kept finding was suggestions to remove my hard drive, which I know is not faulty.

Can you run IDE and SATA hard drives simultaneously?

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes you can run them together. I think you would need to set your IDE Hard Drive as Master and the DVD optical drive as slave. Then you would need to enter the BIOS and setup your boot sequence so that the SATA drive is before the IDE Drive. It's a shame that board only has one IDE port, because the DVD drive will slow down the transfer speeds. I recommend you grab an IDE add-on (PCI) card so that your IDE hard drive can run at it's best speed.

unstablefears

unstablefears

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hmmm I will have to check the BIOS then....

I would probably opt to buy another SATA HD before buying a PCI card with an extra IDE port. Not a fan of the ribbon cable lol.

Thanks for the information on the BIOS :whistling:.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I was going to recommend that, but an add-on card would have been cheaper, and if the IDE drive works still... Nevertheless, you're very welcome. :whistling: