1. my system is extremely slow on startup and a lot of the programs start slow too
2. Every now and then my monitor "flashes".
In the past 2 weeks, there were some changes:
1. My idiotic brother-in-law borrowed the laptop, when I got it back, I found cookies and stuff from [bleep] sites, no pictures or anything saved, so I'm guessing he just surfed. He also did me a "favor" of installing an editing program that required a crack or keygen, so it was warez or whatever you call it.
-----I uninstalled the program and cleaned out all the internet porn stuff.
2. I had bad sectors on my hardrive (Dban told me this after a reformat) so I used the Windows program to scan it and recuperate the bad sectors. At finish, it didn't report anything, so I don't know if they were fixed or not.
3. I don't remember what program it was, but there was a "memory leak" message that appeared.
4. Twice I had an autorun and "recycler" on my miniflashdrive. Everytime I connect it, I use NOD32 to scan it, and both times I deleted said viruses.
----- Is doing that sufficient or more removal?
5. I tried using Komodo firewall and it seemed to be confusing to me - I'm not a techie, but am trying.
6. I had to turn off NOD32 several times in "services" to do some editing. I always turned it on after. One day it just didn't open up, the icon was there, but zip. I reinstalled and all OK.
5. I use and scan with NOD32 for my HD, my external HD and my miniflash, all are also defragged using O&O. I also use AdAware, Spybot S&D, CCleaner, Easycleaner (sometimes freezes), SUPERAntiSpyware.
Right now I'm doing all the scans as well (before doing a HijackThis). Any suggestions?
Also, if/when NOD32 finds something (like recycler) and I delete it, is the problem fixed there? Or does the virus still get in? Would it be better to use a rewritabtle CD to bring to a place to printn stuff up, or use the flashdrive?
Thanks for any help in advance!