Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

When is the Admin not the Admin?

• Please log in to reply

jrspie

jrspie

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
When you're me.
XP Pro w/SP2 has been set up with an Admin acct. and a Limited user acct..
I just tried to download and install some software.
Download goes OK.
But when it's time to set up the new software I get the message that I need Admin. rights.
I tried cancelling the Limited User Acct.. No help.
When I go into User Accts. the only acct. showing is the Admin..
How do I correct this?
Thanks.
J.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
XP is installed with a default 'Administrator' account which is usually hidden from the log-in screen, so this account is not used in normal circumstances. You need to create a user account for yourself which is a 'Computer Administrator' account, then restart Windows and log-on to that account whenever you yourself are using the PC in future. That account will allow you to install software as well as performing any other operations, with no restrictions.

Edited by pip22, 30 July 2007 - 04:23 AM.

VDL

VDL

• Pip
  • 4 posts
You may want to be more protected. Download and use DropYourRights that makes you surf the web as a user while your PC is in administrator mode. It protects you against exploits and malware this way.