Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD Driver Gone! Please Help

• Please log in to reply

jgreene1962

jgreene1962

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello,

After a month of numerous spyware, malware and viruses I now have a different problem. "Crustyoldbloke" was kind enough to help though all the malware troubles and I am currently "clean" I think.

However, during the midst of installing various repair programs somehow my CD/DVD driver is not being found. It's not listed under "My computer". I have no idea the type of hardware it was as far as brand name. I have a Gateway computer.....and that's about as much as I know about Hardware.

To make things worse, one of the viruses I had (spyware, malware, not sure) kept turning off my system restore. Everytime I would reboot it was turned off so there is no system restore available.

If anyone has any ideas how to find out what I lost and what I need....I'd greatly appreciate the help. I'm sorry to be so ignorant of hardware...but i'm not even sure what I lost so I cant research how to fix it! All I know is I no longer have the driver that will allow me to burn CDs.

Thanks
Jacki

Advertisements

techie4fun

techie4fun

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi :whistling:

I would like you to go into your control panel, I prefer classic mode, and click on the system Icon. Once your in system properties, to the top, find a clicky called Hardware and at the top of the list should be something called Device Manager. You should now see a list of all hardware and other components installed on your computer. Look for dvd/cd-rom drives, and see if anything is listed with a YELLOW exclamation mark. Post back and say what you've found.

jgreene1962

jgreene1962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi....thanks for your response.

I did as instructed and there are no yellow checks. I am uploading a screen shot of my device manager. Hopefully that will help.

Thanks again for your response.

Jacki

Attached Thumbnails

• sdevice_manager.jpg

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jgreene1962...

Click Start, then Run, and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, is UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

jgreene1962

jgreene1962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
In the right pane, Upper Filters is listed.

Thanks for your response.

Jacki

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose "Export". Save this to your desktop and name it filters.

Then right click on UpperFilters in the right pane of Registry Editor and choose "Delete". Accept the deletion.

Open Device Manager, right click on the cd drive, and choose "Uninstall". Accept the operation.

Close all open windows and reboot. Windows will reinstall the drive on startup...without the filter.

Did this help?

jgreene1962

jgreene1962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
It worked!!

thank you....thank you....thank you!!

Jacki

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to help! :whistling:

You can safely delete the file (filters) that you saved to the desktop.

Aryan King

Aryan King

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
TRYED FIX WITH NO RESULT

IN DEVICE MANAGER I DO HAVE THE YELLOW CIRCLE WITH THE EXPLANATION POINT???????