Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing Motherboard, build problems.

• Please log in to reply

pers

pers

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Ok, hi all! :)

I have posted a topic a while back that my rig didn't load into bios and etc... ( Core 2 Duo e6600, ocz 2gb ddr 800, Zalman Heatsink, 600W psu, nvidia 650i mobo, 320gb hd).

So, I have been overclocking, not as far as I would prefer, but I pushed my e6600 to about 3ghz. So when I took the video card out, and then put it back, the computer didn't start, only hd activity LED was constantly glowing, and nothing else, no boot into bios. (I have posted a topic on it about 1.5 months ago)...

So, I first thought that it was the video card or the motherboard (well, actually you guys told me :whistling: :blink: ). Nonetheless, my video card works fine in my Athlon, so it's fine. Therefore I am quite convinced that it is the motherboard (Nvidia 650i.), as for the series of tests in disconnecting hardware etc.

So now, in the next few days I am going back to Tigerdirect strore in order to buy another motherboard, therefore, I have questions about picking the right one, and about what happens after.

I could just buy another «Nvidia 650i», which I have right now, but broken. But I stumbled across this board: «Nvidia 680i SE». I liked it much more, for the specs, 7.1 audio, 1200mhz ram speed, and that it's actually an 680i. I watched the video review that is on the same page as the 680i SE, and it says that it is an excellent overclocker of the Core 2 Duo's especially, as they are optimized for maximum performance of, because it is NOT quadcore-oriented in optimization.

So, i'm thinking, is it worth the extra 16$? Or should I just buy my old motherboard. Yes I will game, and overclock... And I want my system to be at peak performance, without losing stability.

Next, when I have picked out the motherboard what happens? I just replace the old motherboard in the case, with the fresh one, screw it in. Then connect all the wires and the components, right? And then? Does it just load? I have Vista on the hard drive, and some files i'd like not to lose... Is it just going to boot into bios, and then into the system??? Even if i buy the 680i motherboard? Will my system be "familiar" with it? So if it boots into the OS, i need to install the drivers that came with the motherboard??? And then I just have the system that I originally had? Working fine, having all the files and etc???

Guys, you have helped me ALOT! And I Appreciate it ALOT as well!

Please clearify as much as possible, as I need to consult with my dad as well, and tell him what "the experts" think :help: :help: as well.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!! :)

Edited by pers, 31 July 2007 - 05:51 PM.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hey another Canadian!!!!

Just for your money I would stay away from Tigerdirect, they have the highest prices. I have the Asus 650i and my specs are almost exactly the same as yours. I can overclock my CPU to almost 3.5 or 3.6 GHz with my watercooling kit and it runs stable for a while. Although I would go for the 680i if you can find a cheap one. I always shop at canadacomputers.com, they have the lowest prices. You can also try www.pricecanada.com to compare prices in canada.

Soorena

EDIT: One more thing, why don't you use your warranty?

Edited by SOORENA, 31 July 2007 - 04:43 PM.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
No, TigerDirect does not have the highest prices, and they have a wide variety, therefore i like it.

The tiger direct warranty is out, and you didn't answer neither my motherboard question, nor what happens after... Suppose i do buy a motherboard, then what...???

It's all in my original post :whistling:

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Guys, I'd really hate it if you think I'm "bumping" my topic or whatever, but I REALLY need full information about this. My dad has some free time tomorrow to visit the store, and I really need your advice.

Sorry again.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Well I supposed if you want to go with Tigerdirect then I can't stop you. Go with the 680i or even if you can find a cheap one, possibly, a P35 is better. I don't think you'll find one though. Sorry I can't write much I have a game and I need to go.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 01 August 2007 - 04:08 PM.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
amm... there are links to both of the motherboards... in my ORIGINAL POST.

link to 680i mobo, any good? http://www.tigerdire...p;Sku=E145-2011 ?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Your 650i has 36 months labor and parts replacement, this can be found under the warrenty tab, however I do not know ASUS's overclocking terms, you'll have to check this out but it will have likely voided your warrenty. Still worth a look as it could save you $$$. Changing the motherboard will more then likely require a complete reformat.
www.NCIX.com actually has a large range in products and carry many rare computer components that cannot be found anywhere else in canada.
www.anitec.ca is another good one.
I really recommend you look at these 2 sites and compare priecs before you purchase at tigerdirect, also if you live outside of BC you don't pay PST.
James

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
But I need a store that is near by, and I can just visit, which is Tiger Direct.

I was perticularly interested if the 680i SE was a good motherboard, and if I should pick it over the 650i.

So you're saying that my pc will not boot into Windows when I connect everything? And I will have to re-format my Hard Driver, losing all of the data???

Thnx

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Your 650i has 36 months labor and parts replacement, this can be found under the warrenty tab, however I do not know ASUS's overclocking terms, you'll have to check this out but it will have likely voided your warrenty.

Have you looked into this?

Since the chipsets are similar it's less likely to happen, if your really worried you can nearly eliminate the chances of the happening by buying the exact same motherboard.
I need you to give me links so I can respond to each topic faster and know that I'm looking at the same board as you. Remember there are several revisions of the 680i, and several manufactures as well.
It's good practice to reformat after you've added something new as it strips all the old drivers eliminating problems from them in the present or near future. However will a component as crucial as the motherboard you may be forced to do so.
James

Edited by james_8970, 02 August 2007 - 10:59 AM.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
The links of the two motherboards are in my original post, here they are again:

«680i» and «650i»

Please tell me what you think, and my computer will load into windows or not, if you can.

Thanks

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Just to prove my earlier point, you can find that the 650i is cheaper on CanadaComputers.com

CANADA COMPUTERS

I also recommend going with THIS one.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 02 August 2007 - 12:34 PM.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
dude, to make it clear, i'm NOT buying online k?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I don't like the layout of where the SATA ports are on the 680i as a GTX would likely block the bottom two SATA ports.
I cannot tell you if windows will load or not as I haven't changed a motherboard (I'm basing this on things I have yet on other forums regarding peoples problems), when the motherboard needs to go I just replace the majority of the system, because luckily for me (knock on wood) I haven't had a problem with any of my motherboards. If I were you I'd just buy the same board again to avoid possible problems. The 680i is a better board, but not significantly better. The 650i has a lower FSB wall and a few less features. Have you hit the wall as of yet?
Just to add something here, the 680i had some problems with the transistors which is why they are saying this board is optimized for core2duo, because they don't want to look like idiots. This was later fixed with 2 revisions.
James

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
what's a wall?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I think he means the overclocking wall, where you can't go any further.

Soorena