Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Application Has Encountered Error" Epidemic

• Please log in to reply

Clipper44

Clipper44

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am experiencing a rash of application program errors on my Acer Aspire 5000 laptop running Windows XP with SP2. I've had the laptop for almost two years and all of these programs have worked problem free until lately. It has a AMD Turion 1.6 Ghz processor with 1 MB of memory & a 100 GB hard drive.

The problem seems to have started with 20 minute boot ups. I've been through the Malware Forum, but nothing was found:

http://www.geekstogo...t-p1005837.html

I was referred to the XP forum and found a Lexmark printer driver that was the culprit in the long boots:

http://www.geekstogo...t-p1014418.html

But the application crashes have continued and increased, so it was suggested I start a new topic. Following are the recent event logger errors for programs I use on a regular basis:

WordPerfect - While just deleting and retyping text:

Faulting application wpwin9.exe, version 9.0.0.528, faulting module wpwin9.exe, version 9.0.0.528, fault address 0x0001e8d0.

NTI CD Maker Gold -- While renaming the target CD:

Faulting application cdmkr32.exe, version 7.7.0.15, faulting module cdmkr32.exe, version 7.7.0.15, fault address 0x00019489.

PhotoPlus -- While resizing an image:

Faulting application photoplus.exe, version 6.0.0.3, faulting module mfc42.dll, version 6.0.8168.0, fault address 0x00014ac3.

I have tried a) repairing the programs through the Control Panel; b) uninstalling & re-installing the programs; c) downloading & installing the latest versions; & d) in the case of PhotoPlus trying to install a patch their tech support sent me to correct the problem.

Nothing seems to have worked.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Advertisements

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
It sounds like it could possibly be (a) memory error(s) in your RAM. You might want to run a memory test. If you want to try it, there's a tool here...

http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp

Edited by vinny_the_hack, 31 July 2007 - 11:24 PM.

Clipper44

Clipper44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Vinny --

Thanks for pitching in to help out.

I ran the Microsoft memory checker and my computer passed all 6 standard and all 11 extended tests without any errors, so it does not appear to be a hadware issues with memory or the motherboard.

Any idea of what else I could check?

Thanks.

C/44

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
If it wouldn't be too obtrusive, you might consider doing a "system restore" to a point before the problems started. If you want to try this and don't know how, let me know.

Clipper44

Clipper44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Just to update this issue -- I discovered that there is a conflict between a program called "keyhook.exe" which is not malware, but part of the Acer tools package provided with their laptops and the latest SiS VGA drivers.

At this point, the only solution appears to be disabling the keyhook.exe program from starting up when windows boots. Once I did that, application programs returned to running normally.