Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sari's grammar thread

• Please log in to reply

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Grrrrrrrrr   :smashcomp:   :alarm:   :no:   :alarm:   :smashcomp:

Funny with that emoji, especially when it's whacking a computer. I do that sometimes to mine since it randomly comes up with a random Overclock Failure error which won't go away. I don't hit it, but I feel like I should, but no, otherwise I would be hurting its feelings. :(

Edited by EmishOrc, 10 February 2016 - 05:04 AM.

Advertisements

Angoid

Angoid

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 233 posts

It's Emergency Repair Procedure Number One: Hit it  :laughing:

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
I don't recall reading anything about this add-on here in this topic. Was wondering if it would help those whose first language is not English.

Grammarly Spell Checker & Grammar Checker

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I don't recall reading anything about this add-on here in this topic. Was wondering if it would help those whose first language is not English.

I mainly speak English, but I'm getting the hang of Japanese!

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

Yes, this is highly recommended for any non-native English speaker! I'm using it for a two months now and it helps a lot!

Angoid

Angoid

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 233 posts
I'm not familiar with that particular plug-in, but the problem with this sort of thing is that it sometimes tries to "correct" something that is perfectly OK to something that is blatantly wrong.

For example, Microsoft Word often tries to make me change "advice" to "advise" because it thinks I'm making a grammatical error.

Maybe it's a UK/US English thing, but over here "advice" is a noun (I will give you some advice) and "advise" is a verb (Please let me advise you). The two words are spoken differently as well: it's a soft sound at the end of "advise" whereas it's a harder sound at the end of "advice".

So you can imagine how annoyed I get when I get prompted to change "advice" to "advise" in sentences such as, "Can I give you some advice?".

Same for licence / license.

Incredibly annoying!!!

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Yes, this is highly recommended for any non-native English speaker! I'm using it for a two months now and it helps a lot!

Since this is the grammar thread, I will take the liberty of commenting on the quote above, pointing out what might be considered subtleties which the more formal or complex construction brings.

The simpler "I am using"  means this is occurring in the present. Since the writer means it has been going on in both the past and continues in the present, it would be more precise to say "I have been using it for two months now...". The fact that it is still going on is implied; if it had stopped, the correct sentence would be "I had been using....".

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

Since this is the grammar thread, I will take the liberty of commenting on the quote above, pointing out what might be considered subtleties which the more formal or complex construction brings.

The simpler "I am using"  means this is occurring in the present. Since the writer means it has been going on in both the past and continues in the present, it would be more precise to say "I have been using it for two months now...". The fact that it is still going on is implied; if it had stopped, the correct sentence would be "I had been using....".

Thanks for pointing it out! (Grammarly is correcting this kind of problems only in the Premium. When I had the trial for Premium it was actually always complaining about this kind of sentences.)

Brigham

Brigham

• Pip
  • 4 posts

There, their, and there're. These seem to be used interchangeably. My own pet hate, is the pronounciation of the eighth letter of the alphabet as haitch instead of aitch.

ANAD

ANAD

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Lol! I liked Sari. Not annoying and actually likable. My wife (the social worker) loved that she was a girl, wasn't stupid, emotional w/o being useless, and not white. I think my wife might actually be a proponent (not fan, not yet anyway) of the show.

Edit by paws: link to inappropriate site removed

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
I think this link fits right nicely here in Sari's Grammar Thread. :)

Commonly Misused Phrases That Will Make You Sound Unprofessional

Alex-John

Alex-John

• Pip
  • 1 posts

hey, My name is Alex-John am a new member and I have dyslexia. thank you so much for posting the Grammar add to firefox.  normally. I can't do grammar but this forum has helped me so much I don't do well in forums that have rules about spelling and grammar. Normally I would shy away from such forums and hate myself for it. thank you for posting this post.

:yeah:

buddywiser

buddywiser

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

hey, My name is Alex-John am a new member and I have dyslexia. thank you so much for posting the Grammar add to firefox.  normally. I can't do grammar but this forum has helped me so much I don't do well in forums that have rules about spelling and grammar. Normally I would shy away from such forums and hate myself for it. thank you for posting this post.

:yeah:

Likewise. I am also thankful for the OP coz indeed grammar is very important because it provides information that helps the reader's comprehension. It is the structure that conveys precise meaning from the writer to the audience. Eliminate grammatical errors from your writing, and reward your readers with clear communication.