Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Costom LAptop

• Please log in to reply

CharlesC92

CharlesC92

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey :blink:,
I want to buy a Laptop but im unsure about some componets, like the processor :whistling:
I basically want a laptop thats able to play games without lagging, multitask and has a decent amount of memory!
I've checked Dell and Hp for customizeable notebooks and want something affordable!
I would like your suggestions on which build is better/what i should add or remove/other builds!
For HP:
  • Operating System FREE Upgrade from Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit) to Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium!
  • Processor Intel® Pentium® dual core processor T2130 (1.86 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)
  • Display 15.4" WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
  • Memory FREE Upgrade from 512MB DDR2 System Memory (1 Dimm) to 1GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
  • Graphics Card 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7400
  • Personalization HP Imprint Finish + Microphone
  • Networking Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection and Bluetooth™
  • Hard Drive FREE Upgrade from 80GB 5400RPM to 160GB 5400RPM!!
  • Primary CD/DVD Drive DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
  • TV & Entertainment Experience No TV Tuner w/remote control
  • Primary Battery High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
  • OS and Recovery Media System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
  • Productivity Software Microsoft® Works 8.0
Dell:
  • SYSTEM COLOR Jet Black
  • PROCESSOR AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56 (1MB/1.8GHz)
  • OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition
  • DISPLAY Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch display (1280x800)
  • VIDEO CARD ATI RADEON® Xpress1270 HyperMemory™
  • MEMORY FREE! 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
  • HARD DRIVE FREE! 160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
  • OPTICAL DRIVE CD / DVD writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)
  • WIRELESS NETWORK CARDS Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card
  • INTEGRATED WEBCAM No Webcam Option edit
  • BATTERY OPTIONS 85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
  • SOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.0
  • ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 15-months
  • OFFICE SOFTWARE No Productivity software pre-installed
  • BURN & DIGITAL EDITING SOFTWARE Yahoo! Music Jukebox - Music Player
  • WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1Yr Ltd Warranty and Mail-In Service
  • ACCIDENT AND THEFT PROTECTION 1Yr LoJack for Laptops Theft Protection (CD Shipped Separately)
  • GETTING-STARTED HELP No Dell On Call
  • DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP Free 3 GB Online Backup for 1Yr
  • AUTOMATED PC TUNEUP 1 Year Automated PC Tune Up
  • DIAL-UP INTERNET ACCESS No ISP requested
  • ENVIRONMENTAL OPTIONS Recycling Kit and Plant a Tree for Me

Edited by CharlesC92, 02 August 2007 - 10:20 AM.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
First question is what is your budget? And how much do each of those cost? What type of games in particular?

Soorena

CharlesC92

CharlesC92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well my budget is around $800-900. :whistling:
They each cost around $900. :blink:
For now games like WoW (World of Warcraft), MMORPGs, and Counter-Strike Source.

Edited by CharlesC92, 02 August 2007 - 10:53 AM.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Thugh HP and Dell are great companies, I still recommend Cyber Power for custom gaming PC's. They are where I got my desktop, and my friend ordrered a custom laptop and he loves it!!! You start at either a AMD or an Intel Processor, then you pick the rest!!! Post here with any truobles on what parts you choose.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

CharlesC92

CharlesC92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Thugh HP and Dell are great companies, I still recommend Cyber Power for custom gaming PC's. They are where I got my desktop, and my friend ordrered a custom laptop and he loves it!!! You start at either a AMD or an Intel Processor, then you pick the rest!!! Post here with any truobles on what parts you choose.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

I cant seem to find a way to custom build on the web page u gave me... :whistling:

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Hello,

Well on the top of the page there are a bunch of buttons. Such as Configurators, Intel Desktop, AMD Desktop, etc.

Hover over the one that says Notebook.

Then hover over the type of CPU you would like, and select a notebook from the right.

After that, you select you parts.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
All those laptops bust his budget.
Your better of sticking with HP, Acer and Toshiba as they generally have been prices because nothing is custom and they can mass produce the same thing over and over again lowering the costs for you, the consumer. Whereas computer stores such as these don't mass produce them causing them to have higher costs.
What is your budget and what are your uses going to be on this laptop, ie gaming, office uses. ect.
James

Edited by james_8970, 06 August 2007 - 12:35 PM.

CharlesC92

CharlesC92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks Monster! :blink:
My budget is around $800 - $900...
My uses for the comp. are for gaming and school work!
And what kind of Processor is recomended for multitask, I heard about the Quad cores...
They any good??

Thanks for your time, :whistling:
Charles!

Tim'A

Tim'A

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Kinda off topic (sorry) but I'd get rid of vista, just downgrade to XP. . . It will probably cost less as you wont have to upgrade the RAM, Vista will run fine on those notebooks and all, but when you start up large applications, you will most likely experience some lagging. . . I downgraded mine to XP and killed about 70% of the lag in my GTA San Andreas.

And about 1/3 (very rough guess) of the apps out there wont run on vista, then again, some are designed to only run on vista.

Just my two cents :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Very close to all applications will run on vista.

If you have 1Gb of RAM it'll be enough for home basic, though if you have premium or ultimate I highly recommend 2GB of RAM for smoother operation while gaming. Also you can stop processes from running at start-up, I have removed windows defender as an example as it would randomly scan, yet it wouldn't not show on the toolbar that it was in fact scanning (I had to do a little digging around on what was causing my hard drive to seek all the time).

Downgrading to XP would be a waste of time, just my two cents.

While quads are great in many ways, it won't be another year till we begin to see them in laptops.

James

Raccoon

Raccoon

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Heya mate, this may be a long time ago but i needed a laptop that could play City of Heroes/CoV,

This is the specs of it and it plays MMORPG's fine

Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-52 - 1.6GHz (x2), up to 1.6GHz FSB, 2x512KB L2 Cache
RAM: 1024MB DDR2-533MHz (Upgrade to 2GB!)
Hard Drive: 120 GB
Screen: 15.4" TFT CrystalBrite (1200x800)
Optical Drive: DVD±RW Super Multi
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 supporting 128MB HyperMemory
Wireless LAN: 802.11b/g
Weight: 3.2Kg
Warranty: 1 Year - Upgradeable to 3 Years!
Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Edition
Fast Ethernet 10/100
Built-In 0.3 MegaPixel Camera
5-in-1 Card Reader

Cost me about £500 english earth pounds [A lil over £1000 with your convertion rate, was a birthday present =] ]

Im sure they do it in the US, the model is Acer Aspire 5103WLMi Notebook

Its got a good layout, ventilation, build in webcam etc - The graphics card takes about 512mb system RAM when gaming, which is fine since you have 1.5gb of DDR2 533mhz RAM left =]

Cheers!!

Also, if your gaming - Dont get vista!! PC's need their resources a lot when gaming, Vista is possibly the best Window Bloatware ever =]

CharlesC92

CharlesC92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thxz dude!
Again i ask, what processor is prefered by u guys for multitasking and games?
Thanks,
Charles