Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Disconnects While Downloading

• Please log in to reply

kwjr86

kwjr86

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have Charter Internet Service 5.0, and a CG814WG Netgear Router, I have two wireless laptops and one pc, I have a weird problem I can not figure out for the life of me. It seems so basic but I just can not figure it out. So i figured someone maybe able to help me on here.

Here my problem:

Ever since I got Charter Internet, it has disconnected, but more recently it is constant. The thing is it disconnects or drops, and I unplug the router replug it, disable and then enable the connection, and diagnose and repair and its back on.

Ive noticed that it only disconnects when I am at top speeds. I use uTorrent a lot and I've noticed recently that as soon as the connection get over like 100kb/s to 200kb/s it drops to 0kb/s and I have to reset the router and everything. Another spot where the disconnects happen is when I am on a video streaming website like you tube and have a couple videos open, or downloading on mirc.

Why is this, is it because I have too much traffic going through the router? Ive read about too many tip/ip(?, something like that) connections but dont know how to fix them, so it wont cut out. Do I need a new router? I just dont understand why it disconnects then i just reset it and its back online. If i am just surfing the web with Internet Explorer everything is fine.

I have had Charter out to check on the service, and the said everything is fine, so I really dont think it is the actual service, but something to do with either the router or the computer settings.

Any advice?

Anything is greatly appreciated. If more info is needed please ask.

Edited by kwjr86, 01 August 2007 - 12:17 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The fact that switching the router off and on fix the problem for sometime indicate to router problem. If you could borrow a router and install it temporarilly in place of yours and run it under the same conditions that you run yours, this could help a lot.

kwjr86

kwjr86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
An update:

I plugged my laptop into the router via an Ethernet Cable. Everything works fine, no disconnects ever. So I figure this is just a Wireless problem. Is it possible the wireless connection can not handle high speeds or what could it be?

I haven't tried another router, in actuality I have a Cable Modem Gateway / Router, and those cost a little bit, I have bought a new router/gateway and its on its way a WCG200.

Intermittently, does any know why the disconnects only happen when I am wireless? Is there a setting to change to avoid disconnections wirelessly? Is the antenna on the router bad, or the router in general bad?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What is the strength of the signal that you see on your computer when you work with the wireless? Is it reasonably stable (say, between good and excellent)?

It could be that the wireless part of of the modem is faulty. It could be that the wireless part on the computer is faulty (unless you get stable reception when working against another router). It could be some interruption that supress the signal.