Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing Motherboards, NEED HELP!

• Please log in to reply

pers

pers

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Ok, hi all!

I have posted a topic a while back that my rig didn't load into bios and etc... ( Core 2 Duo e6600, ocz 2gb ddr 800, Zalman Heatsink, 600W psu, nvidia 650i mobo, 320gb hd).

So, I have been overclocking, not as far as I would prefer, but I pushed my e6600 to about 3ghz. So when I took the video card out, and then put it back, the computer didn't start, only hd activity LED was constantly glowing, and nothing else, no boot into bios. (I have posted a topic on it about 1.5 months ago)...

So, I first thought that it was the video card or the motherboard (well, actually you guys told me ). Nonetheless, my video card works fine in my Athlon, so it's fine. Therefore I am quite convinced that it is the motherboard (Nvidia 650i.), as for the series of tests in disconnecting hardware etc.

So now, in the next few days I am going back to Tigerdirect strore in order to buy another motherboard, therefore, I have questions about picking the right one, and about what happens after.

I could just buy another «Nvidia 650i», which I have right now, but broken. But I stumbled across this board: «Nvidia 680i SE». I liked it much more, for the specs, 7.1 audio, 1200mhz ram speed, and that it's actually an 680i. I watched the video review that is on the same page as the 680i SE, and it says that it is an excellent overclocker of the Core 2 Duo's especially, as they are optimized for maximum performance of, because it is NOT quadcore-oriented in optimization.

So, i'm thinking, is it worth the extra 16$? Or should I just buy my old motherboard. Yes I will game, and overclock... And I want my system to be at peak performance, without losing stability.

Next, when I have picked out the motherboard what happens? I just replace the old motherboard in the case, with the fresh one, screw it in. Then connect all the wires and the components, right? And then? Does it just load? I have Vista on the hard drive, and some files i'd like not to lose... Is it just going to boot into bios, and then into the system??? Even if i buy the 680i motherboard? Will my system be "familiar" with it? So if it boots into the OS, i need to install the drivers that came with the motherboard??? And then I just have the system that I originally had? Working fine, having all the files and etc???

Guys, you have helped me ALOT! And I Appreciate it ALOT as well!

Please clearify as much as possible, as I need to consult with my dad as well, and tell him what "the experts" think as well.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!!

Advertisements