Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Operating System error

• Please log in to reply

networkz

networkz

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I have a SONY VAIO TX850 and yesterday I decided to put my laptop on my Giorgio Armani Bag..which doesn't have zippers instead it has magnets to keep the bag closed...so after knowing the facts that if you put the laptop on your lap the radiation will kill sperm cells etc~ and so on

Being the idiot I was I put my laptop on the magnet part and when I was finished(after 2min) I tried to pull my laptop off of the bag, it did but i could feel the magnetic pull, so i thought nothing of it and I pressed "Power" to turn my comp into standby.

So later that night I tried to turn it on and it saids "It cannot resume" so I was like What the...? and I tried turning it off/restarting like 10x and trying to boot into Safe Mode and no luck....after a few times it said "No Operating System.."

I tried VAIO recovery and i had ERROR 35 and ERROR 400 which was totally random since why would I get a error when the problem is I got an error in the first place...weird Sony =_=;;

So I went and got my XP CD and installed it, THAN the VAIO recovery worked...so now the comp is in factory settings BUT it's EXTREMELY slow...and I MEAN IT...I tried to fiddle around with the "Power Management" stuff so "performance" and still slow...

What can I do?!!! =( and Did I permanently **** up my computer?! like I didnt rub the magnet around my comp if that's what your asking...The battery part of the laptop just sat on the magnetic clip on the bag...

So I just ran CPU-Z, here is the result

http://img187.images...960/cpuzzb1.jpg

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! So what exactly is the problem then, that you managed to fix your operating system and now it's running slow? If that's the only problem, the picture shows your processor to be a 1.2GHz Intel Core Solo, which won't exactly get you top-notch speed. The other thing I noticed is there is a lot of programs in your task bar, they would be eating system resources, also contributing to the speed factor. We can, however, help you get your system running to its potential. When you run the Sony VAIO recovery console, it will return your system to how it came from the shop, with all the programs that are made by companies who pay Sony to put them on for you...

Other than that, if there is another error I missed then can you please explain it better. And I might also suggest, from now on you go and purchase a proper laptop carry bag (with internal straps and a zip) and always use it to move your computer around. Again, it's just a suggestion.

Once again, welcome, and I hope we can sort your problem out! :whistling:

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
WHOA...first off...THANK YOU for the welcome! :blink: makes me feel right at home =D

Well...the problem is it's REALLY slow...like when I bought the computer it was really fast...since my desktop is only 800mhz~ even when all the factory stuff was on it was fine(i didnt think it was slow)

BUT after the recovery/reformat the computer was very slow, especially when you open programs and stuff, ALSO something i noticed was everytime I tried to open control panel -> Add/Remove programs it should have "Loading program list" for like 3hrs + and I've never seen it actually load it...I dont mean slow as in loading...as in STALLING/LAGGING..

FOR EX: Restarting computer, the Windows Logo appears(where the bar goes back and forth) usually its less than 10sec-20sec for ANY computer basically..but THAT alone takes like 5-10min...after that I get a blank black screen...stalls for another 5-10min than takes 10-15min to load my desktop features...

I'm not sure what's wrong...should I reformat and see? or Did I damage something internally? :whistling:

Edited by networkz, 01 August 2007 - 11:04 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well it's difficult to say, really. I guess it's possible that something has been damaged from the magnet, though I'm not sure what. I strongly recommend you pay a visit to the malware forum, following all these instructions and then posting in that section of the forum. When you have finished following all the instructions, and are ready to post your HJT log, make sure you ask the helper how to get your computer running quicker by removing unnecessary programs and replacing resource-intensive programs with alternatives (an example here would be Norton - very resource-hungry program). The malware forum helpers have a very good understanding of how your computer works and can offer some help here - especially removing any nasty viruses or something if they're hiding on your system... If after you have finished working through with them and it's still slow, it's highly likely something was damaged.

Also note there is a lot more to a computers speed than the processor speed. RAM amount and speed, Hard Drive rpm, etc... Everything plays a contributing factor.

Any problems, feel free to post here again, I'll keep watching this thread. :whistling:

EDIT: Now that I've seen your edit, that doesn't sound any good at all. You're very patient if you wait the whole 5-10 minutes to watch it load! I don't think I could do that... :blink:

Edited by ruthandtroy, 01 August 2007 - 11:10 PM.

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Yeah Im watching this thread closely too :whistling: I REALLY NEED MY LAPTOP FOR SCHOOL ><

Well my friend's on this malware forum and he looked at my uninstall program list/HJT log and he said there doesn't seem to be a problem..

Well do you get what I mean by slow? like it just lags terribly~ It's not even operateable~ but I can surf the net fine(still lags but its SURF-ABLE, after like 20min of idleing to load the start-up stuff)

So...should I reformat aka try to VAIO installation thing again? or what :S

EDIT: Well..it's on my desk and I just do something else on my desktop but im not a very patient person haha ><

Edited by networkz, 01 August 2007 - 11:13 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you are able to reformat and don't have any data you want to keep, go ahead and give it a try. If you have an XP cd and a recovery CD, just use the XP cd to install the operating system, none of the other stuff. Make sure you are disconnected (physically pull the cord out) from the internet for all of the installation, then you'll need to load a firewall and anti-virus straight away. If your disk does not install SP2 then you will need to install a firewall before connecting to the internet at all...

Just remember I'm really guessing here, it's difficult because I'm not actually there to see it and try it. Also it's hard to know what to look at because it might possibly be damaged...

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I already deleted ALL my notes, my project(Just re-did it) and all..so nothing I want to keep anymore ><

I dont really have a XP CD, I have a chinese XP CD but I'm not that good at reading it so...should I just use VAIO Recovery? or install XP?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have finished guiding networkz do a complete reinstall of XP and he has reported the problem is now fixed, so we have decided it must have been malware-related and not to do with the magnet as he suspected. This topic has been fixed.

Edited by ruthandtroy, 02 August 2007 - 05:48 PM.

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Problem is fixed :whistling: Everything is running A-OK

Thanks to ruthandtroy

You guys should give him mod status =)

Thanks again!