Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After reinstall XP wont install extnl HD

• Please log in to reply

Ynnek

Ynnek

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I bought a "Western Digital My Book Pro Edition" external disk drive which installed automatically and worked first time. However once Id backed up to it and then reinstalled XP, it wouldnt install.

A message from the Sys Tray shows "found new hardware" but then it throws up the New Hardware Wizard for which I have tried every option including c:\windows\inf and every other relevant folder I can find. I also tried swapping from USB to Firewire, it was just the same.

2 or 3 fresh reinstalls with or without Windows Updates made no difference. Ive tried a couple of other USB devices and they work fine. My external hard disk works perfectly on 2 other XP PCs.

I thought Id found problem in the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Software Microsoft CurrentVersion "DevicePath" but since I dont know where the relevant driver resides, well Im completely stuck.

Your help would be an act of great kindness.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hi Ynnek by any chance did you reinstall windows with the External hard drive installed?

Ynnek

Ynnek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No it was installed from Recovery partion on my PCs C:\ drive.

I've tried it in all six of my USB ports and uninstalled plus rebooted the Universal Serial Bus Controllers various hubs and controllers but no joy.

Ynnek

Ynnek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My first sentence above is not clear, sorry. It should read:

The extnl HD was not connected. BTW XP was installed from Recovery partion on my PCs C:\ drive.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Open up the external HDD caddy is all the connections tight.

Re seat the connections see if that helps.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geektogo, few questions
- does the external harddrive work with other computers
- in devmgmt.msc is it reading as a device with a yellow blob on it(missing driver)
- in diskmgmt.msc is the drive visible there, assigned a letter too

if it is working elsewhere then it is unlikely to be the device itself

if the device management is reading drivers missing then one could go to the site of the caddie and see if there are either drivers or known problems

Edited by fleamailman, 02 August 2007 - 03:03 PM.

Ynnek

Ynnek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
tuxmaster - The unit is well sealed so it looks like I'd damge it. I've tried the device on 2 other PCs and it works fine.

Hi fleamailman

- The extnl harddrive does work with other computers
- in devmgmt.msc there is a yellow blob over the device
- in diskmgmt.msc the drive is not visible

Ynnek

Ynnek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
At last I've cracked it.

Someone told me to replace my drivers audio, graphics and motherboard. When I installed the utility for the motherboard (Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility) the extnl harddisk worked fine. This utility enables Plug and Play INF support for Intel chipset components.

The moral of the story is find out how to keep your drivers upto date.

Cheers

Kenny