Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not open Word Docs

• Please log in to reply

Patrick_Martino

Patrick_Martino

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi

I am having problems opening word docs with .doc file extensions. I do not have word but am operating Microsoft Works 8.0. I don't think the problem is there however but with my Operating System, which is Windows XP home addition. When I try to open a word file I get a message that the file is not recognized and I should go into the control panel and folder options to create a file association. I have done this and associated the .doc files to use Microsoft works as the application to open it. I click ok, reboot my computer and nothing, same problem. I have been cleaning up my hard drive lately, unistalling lots of progarms I don't use, mostly drivers for my digital camera and photographery software. I fear however I may have deleted something.

I used to be able to open word docs using Microsoft Works, no problem. Now what is the deal. I can't figure it out. Please help.

Regards

Patrick Martino

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Patrick_Martino

If all you want to do is view the Microsoft word files then you can download the Word Reader for free. It does not work with Word 2007. If who you are receiving a document from has word 2007 they will need to change the file type and resend it.

You can get the word reader From Microsoft's Website Here