Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD on Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

alto1jr

alto1jr

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am dealing with the dreaded blue screen of death and can only get into the boot menu and some normal setup menu that lists memory, etc. I have not installed anything. I can also get into a menu with F8, but nothing works. I always get the screen with this stop code:Stop 0x00000024.
I have tried installing xp again by restarting it with the disk inside, but nothing has worked. Fan is pretty loud, but it always has been.
I have many important files in my comp and need to at least save them, or at least save my computer. I have only had it for two years.

Edited by alto1jr, 02 August 2007 - 04:40 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

alto1jr

alto1jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks. I just tried it. It does not give me the option of getting into the system at all when I do this. After I click on Safe mode with Command prompt a file of installed drivers runs through on a black screen and then I get the blue screen again.

Edited by alto1jr, 02 August 2007 - 05:52 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get to a command prompt the same way

Type chkdsk c: /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter

Restart the PC

It will take ages to get to the desktop, do not disturb it as it will only start from scratch

alto1jr

alto1jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I can't do anything with commmand prompt. It just runs a script of files, but does not allow me to type anything.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you left it for a couple of minutes, it can take a while to get to the command prompt

Otherwise, follow this exactly

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

alto1jr

alto1jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks. I can get to the setup by using F2, but then my boot sequence is different. I have to use this option from the link:Configuring Your Computer to Boot from CD

This is my boot sequence
1.Hard-Disk Drive C:
2.Diskette Drive
3. IDE CD-Rom Device
I have moved IDE to the top, but then I get this on a black screen: Alert! OS Install Mode enabled. Amount of available memory limited to 256 MB Strike F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.I ran F1 and got the command promt which just ran a script and took me to a blue screen.

Edited by alto1jr, 02 August 2007 - 09:02 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you press F10 to save the changes

Setting it to CD ROM then hard drive will be good

As the PC starts with the XP CD in, you should see press any key to load from CD, press enter

Which make and model PC?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
two ideas neither great fun; slave harddrive elsewhere and retreive data from there but you will need to change the permissions from the computer you attach the drive to, or the other idea is using a live linux cd like knoppix and mounting the XPdrive from there transfering data to a usb key if the computer will let you. but neither of these ideas mend your computer so I suggest following other peoples advice first with this as a follow up plan if nothing else works.

alto1jr

alto1jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It is a Dell Dimension 3000. The CD does not load up. I just get what I mentioned above. The light from the drive does blink, but nothing else.

Edited by alto1jr, 03 August 2007 - 10:17 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it under warranty

alto1jr

alto1jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Not anymore.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I ran their wizard and it stopped at contact them. Enter the service tag and ask straight off if they are free, if yes, preferably they will stay until you can get Windows to load, or ask if they can show you the boot from CD Rom procedure then run the repair install as per the guide in post 6

http://support.dell....o...;l=en&s=gen