Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Administrator account failure

• Please log in to reply

Chosen

Chosen

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Recently I have tried to install version 7 of windows vista tranformation pack (freeware that is basicly a scheme for xp to make it look like vista). The program edits/replaces certian system files for a few visualizations. so in order to for me to run the installation I need to be logged on to the administrator account. So simple enough, the only account that I have on my computer has admin rights. so logged onto the admin acount and ran the installation, and just befor the installation and error dialog box pops up saying that I do not have the correct permisions to run the installation, and then says to rerun the installation in an admin account....ticked off i checked my settings, and everything said that i was using the administrator account. So to try and overide it i started it up in safe mode and logged onto the admin acount from there. Got through the installation fine, but then it told me that for the installation to complete that i needed to restart my computer (normal mode). so once it rebooted the same admin dialog error came up.

so i thought it may just be the application having a bug in it. but i have gotten similar problems in the past. so ask me questions about it, help me out. this will solve allot more problems than just this application.

thanks

~~~~Chosen

Edited by Chosen, 02 August 2007 - 07:31 PM.

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Try creating a new user account and make it a member of the local Administrators group.

Log off and log on as this new administrator.

Run the installation.

If it takes, then it's possible the original Admin Account has become corrupted.

Chosen

Chosen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hey thanks for the advice, i got the install done in safemode. but doing this should solve some of my other problems.

once again thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also..as a note...you can log on to the admin account in normal mode...when you get to the screen where you pick your user...press ctrl + alt + del...you'll get the classic logon window where you can type in administrator and the password

Chosen

Chosen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
okay that will help for some other things too. thanks dsenette