Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Don77 sent me over to you to see if you could fix my Windows XP proble

• Please log in to reply

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
ok 1st off thank you for being so patient with me & my computer problems.
I went & did the fixit install & I think that just might have done it. It took me awhile to figure out what to do with it E: drive so used to doing everything on C:.

I had to reboot & I had left my HP cd in the drive & it auto came up with the windows installer message.So I believe the auto works now. YEAH!!! :blink:

Forgive me short term memory problems since my stroke. I have done so many new things with my computer today -- I think it seemed to just do nothing for a while then flashed finished I think :whistling:
Thanks again for hanging in there with this,
Lmommy

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Try the install again and write down what it does.

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
ok shall do I have been trying my notebook is getting pretty full, with computer jargon. :blink:

off topic but, kinda on I have been hiting refresh all day long & I still seem to be missing when you all write me -- is there an easier way? :whistling:
Lmommy

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
It is this one correct

WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe

right? I think I have antother one do I need to find it?

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

off topic but, kinda on I have been hiting refresh all day long & I still seem to be missing when you all write me -- is there an easier way? :whistling:
Lmommy

Yes wait for the email. Saying you have a new post. If you do not recive a post in a reasonable amount of time check back.

WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe is the right one.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I find it admirable that you have stuck in here trying to fix this issue instead of reinstalling Windows :whistling: , and I do enjoy a challenge!! I am one that will try most anything to avoid a reinstall. As far as the refresh issue, I find sometimes it is best to go back to the main forum and then revisit the topic, it seems to help getting new posts displayed. And let us know what, if any error message you get when installing Windows Installer.

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I do usually dump & reinstall. But, 2 things My college klids took my office disk & my old office doesn't have onenote & believe me when I say I really use it. Also the last time I dumped I forgot to backup somethings & lost much. My stroke has affected me that way, so I don't trust myself to remember everything. I write me alot of notes. :whistling: I keep telling myself to write a step by step list to reinstalling - but haven't gotten that far. You'd think the teacher in me would have it done :help: -- procrastinate - my middle name.

ok This is what I wrote down:
Windows Install Application
Run
blinked small box loading for a split second.

Big Box - Software Update Install Wizard
-Backup system & close all programs
Might need to restart computer --> next
License --> agree
Flash something about stopping service [I believe real fast]
Big Box --> you have successfully completed setup wizard -->finish

That all folks -- sorry couldn't resist poorrky pig :blink:
Lmommy

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Sounds like it installs okay, would you go to Start then Run then type in msconfig then go to the Services tab and see if Windows Installer is running. If you click your mouse by the services heading in the msconfig window it will place them in alphabetical order.

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
It is there but it says: stopped

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Thats okay, that is what it should say.So lets try to reregister it. Go to Start then Run then type in cmd then type in msiexec /unregister and then press Enter, then type in msiexec /regserver then hit enter.

Edited by cmw2010, 04 August 2007 - 10:05 PM.

Advertisements

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
ok do I need to tye exit like the last time or just close on the x

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Either will work, then try to install your printer software. And cross your fingers!!

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
:whistling: We did it !!!! Yeah!!! the 1st time it didn't & then I went into control panel Admin. services it was set to manuel & not running so I hit start & put it on Auto & tried the Hp dick again & it went in Yeah! now do I leave those setting like that from now on???

+ I almost hat to ask but -- well I might not have to since I just put in the software-- but if I still get that registry error where do I change that at? also, I have something poping up on my word page everytime I open it. pain but no not livable. It says something like not being able to hook up to share files. I check it after.

Thanks, :blink:
Lmommy

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
For now leave the settings the way they are. :whistling: At least we got this far!! Just post back with any more errors or anything. Now I can go to bed and sleep like a baby!

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Goodnight! I'll post them tomorrow I'm going to print somthing & go to bed!
Thanks Again,
Lmommy