Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive acts like CD-ROM drive

• Please log in to reply

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
I've had this problem for a while. Despite physically having a CD-RW drive and a DVD-ROM drive, in My Computer it shows me that I have a CD-RW drive (F) and a CD Drive (E). Under the "Type" column, they both say CD Drive (the cd-rw is working as it should by the way). Anyway, when I put a DVD in the drive, it tries to read it (the default cursor gets a little disc next to it), but after a few seconds, nothing happens. In My Computer, I can't see the size nor available space on it, and when I double click, it says

Disk is not formatted
Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows

The DVD says it's "zone free", right click E>properties>Hardware tab>Liteon DVD-ROM drive (i'm positive this is the hardware)>Properties>DVD Region is set to 2, which is the zone of where this DVD comes from (Japan, even though I'm in Europe, they're the same zone).

I've noticed a difference between that HW and the cd-rw HW though: under "device properties", by "location", it says "Location 0 (0)", whereas for my cd-rw and zip drive they say "Location 1 (1)". I did in the past install DAEMON tools and have a virtual dvd drive, but I turned it off. Anyways, I'm guessing E: somehow got the DVD drive stuff unassigned to it. The Windows troubleshooter didn't help me at all. I'm also sure the DVD is fine since I can play it on my laptop without a problem.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sounds like the DVD laser has gone or the drive has malfunctioned and now Windows is led to believe that it doesn't support DVD Writing anymore. New drive time I think.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
But it's not a DVD-RW, just a regular DVD-ROM drive (no writing capability). I'm saying it can't read DVDs, I'm not even trying to write them since it's not supposed to do that anyway. And it reads CDs fine, so the laser is most likely fine.

Edited by TaNkZ101, 04 August 2007 - 04:28 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
As I said, DVD laser's probably gone. New drive time. Two lasers usually in a DVD capable device, one for talking to CDs and one for talking to DVDs. Sounds like your drive has forgotten how to talk to CDs (due to defunct laser).

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
So you don't think the "Location" difference has something to do with it? Thanks for your help by the way

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

So you don't think the "Location" difference has something to do with it? Thanks for your help by the way

Location varies depending on the computer. Some will tell you where Location 1 is, some won't.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
I just tried two DVDs (1 is a burnt one, the other is one that comes with a magazine i subscribe to, it says "DVD (disc picture) DL" on it) and they work fine. This DVD I'm trying to listen to says "DVD (disc picture) VIDEO" on it. It also says something about "DTS" on it.

But now I pop in a different (music) DVD (it says DVD (disc picture) and nothing else underneath it), and it works fine. It says "Audio: The default audio setting for this DVD is PCM 24 bit stereo. The audio is also available in DTS 96/24 5.1 Surround Sound. To be able to play the surround soundtrack, your DVD player or AV amplifier/receiver must be equipped with a DTS decoder, if not please select the Stereo option otherwise the audio will be inaudible."

So I select "play in stereo" from the menu and it plays fine (since I don't have a 5.1 setup). The thing is my other DVD (that won't play) is also available in Stereo. So I don't think this is the problem. But something is, because the dvd isn't readable at all. Also, because of this, it can't be the laser.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
Bump :whistling:

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
Any ideas?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Please do not "bump" your topic. If you have been waiting for more than three days please read This and post in the Waiting Room.

Also everyone here volunteers their time.

Thank you.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
Thank you.

I know that.

Your welcome.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Have you tried uninstalling it and letting Windows run through the "Found New Hardware" Wizard yet?

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
No, and I don't know how to.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm going to assume that you were about to ask how to do that next...

From the desktop, right-click on "My Computer" and select Manage from the menu that appears. In the window that opens, select "Device Manager" from the menu on the left. Then click on the [+] sign next to DVD/CD-ROM Drives and you will see all the DVD and CD drives that are connected to your computer listed here. Right-click on the one that is causing your problem (there may only be one) and select Uninstall from the menu. Then when you have confirmed it, restart your computer and the wizard should come up and install it for you. Then you can try using it again and see if it helps.

If this doesn't help, post the make and model of your drive here and I'll see if there's any firmware updates available for it, but I doubt that would fix the problem.