Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Staying signed in...

• Please log in to reply

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I just purchased a new computer with Vista. I use a Mozilla Firefox browser, which remembers my passwords but doesn't keep me signed in.

Everything I go to check my bank or credit card info, I have to send away for a new activation code because the sites think I am using a new computer.

Even on the Geeks-to-Go forum, I have to sign back in each time I visit the site. On my old computer this was not the case. Once I start typing my user name, my user name and password are completed by Mozilla, but it appears each site I go to believes I am using a new computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is probably a cookie problem.

In Firefox, go to Tools -> Options -> Privacy. Ensure "Accept cookies from sites" is checked and set "until they expire". There is no major issue with Firefox and cookies under Vista.

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for the reply, but my Mozilla was already set with those options so the problem still persists.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Ensure you have set the right time and date.
Also problems like this can be caused by extensions or a faulty Firefox profile.

Also bear in mind most online banking automatically signs you out after a few minutes of inactivity by virtue of design.

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I do have the correct date and time.

As for the banking, I sign out after each use; however, when I return I have to answer a series of security questions because it says "It appears you are using a new computer." In addition, forums like Geeks-to-Go usually keep me signed in, but each time I close my browser before returning to the forums, I am logged out.

I tried to check the profile manager, but their isn't one. I went to start>all programs>Mozilla firefox, and the only things in the folder were the Mozilla link and the Mozilla safe mode link, their was no profile manager.

And I do not know what a faulty extension is.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Problem may be fixed with a new profile. Let me test it.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Have you tried:

Tools>Options>Privacy and unchecking: "Always clear my private data when I close Firefox."

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Problem appears to be fixed. I started a new profile and everything is working properly.

Everybody, thanks for the help.