Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New monitor, fatal excption @ boot, even 2 safe md

• Please log in to reply

BigHammerRequired

BigHammerRequired

• Pip
  • 4 posts
;)

Have just replaced old monitor with new basic CRT and get message "A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 16CF:000014E3. The current application will be terminated" when try to boot to Windows 98. It won't even boot to safe mode and the monitor supplier's tech support tells me that this means it isn't a video driver problem. So the fact that it's a new monitor could be a complete red herring.

Suspecting that reinstall of Windows would help, I have tried to boot from the Hewlett Packard system restore disk which came with the machine, but the thing keeps trying to boot from the HD.

Apart from the new monitor the only other thing that's changed recently is that a couple of weeks before the old monitor went down I installed AVG anti-virus, that appeared to be working OK but maybe it is causing the problem.

I have tried booting in 'step by step' mode, with initialisation commands echoing to the screen. The last command seen before it fails is something like msmouse.vxd.

I am completely stuck now, so all suggestions welcome!

Jonny :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I suspect that it is a red herring....though the monitor people probably said it was not a video problem , not a video driver problem.

Videodriver drives the videocard
The monitor may have a driver but probably uses windows default.

If, however, you did install a monitor driver (some do have them) that could be the issue, since 0D errors are often driver related.

When installing, did you jostle the case around? Maybe memory came loose.

Did you visit Windows Update? That could have installed a driver perhaps.

Or it could be nothing since 0D is catch all for errors windows does not have an error message for.

Get a bootdisk (floppy) and search for a folder called OPTIONS

maybe

c:\options
c:\windows\options

HP often puts the install files on the drive.

BigHammerRequired

BigHammerRequired

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks gerryf :tazz:

No I didn't install any drivers, you were right, it uses Windows default.

I wasn't rough with the PC case when I installed but I've had the cover off and all looks firmly in place.

There is a folder called c:\windows\options but I can't make head or tail of what's in there. Certainly there's nothing in there that cries out 'run me to start system restore cd'.

I used a startup floppy previously created but of course that just gets me into DOS. It still won't boot windows even in safe mode. The only difference trying to boot into safe mode is the error gives a different string of numbers (still 0D, it's the numbers after that are different).

What I did manage to do is interrogate the system restore CD from DOS (with "DIR E:") but all that shows is drivers. Presumably there's some sort of setup.exe or startup.exe on there but it must be hidden.

So I'm still stuck. ;)

Any ideas anybody? Please?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OPtions should have a setup.exe file in it in addition to about 70 *.cab files

These are your windows installation files.

Start with DOS, then change to that directory and run setup. When asked, install Windows to the same directory as it is currently in

c:\windows

This will perform a windows refresh.

You have a critcally damaged system file and it would be easier to do this then to individual determine the problem. When complete, you need to revisit windows update.

BigHammerRequired

BigHammerRequired

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks I'll give it a go tonight. :tazz:

BigHammerRequired

BigHammerRequired

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz:

Brilliant, running setup.exe - which I found in c:\windows\options\cabs - sorted it out.

Just for your info it didn't actually let me specify directory to install windows to, but appears to have fixed it up right anyway.

What's your favourite charity mate, and their web address? Without your help I probably would have gone out and spent some money, so I'd like to make a donation to a good cause on your behalf.

Cheers,

Jonny

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that's very gracious....all I ever ask for my help is that you do one unexpected act of kindness for someone else :tazz:

pass it on.