Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont power up!

• Please log in to reply

Mac_Quazi

Mac_Quazi

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hey

I've got this freind, who's computer started to have problems. Originally the problem was that the computer would restart suddenly, i figured it was a virus so i scanned it thoroughly for spyware and malware.

This didnt fix the problem.....later on he called me to say that he has a bigger problem. when his computer turns on both mouse and keyboard lights flash as normal but as soon as the windows splash screen appears and windows goes to the log in screen the lights turn off, therefore cannot use either keyboard or mouse.

I figured his Windows was corrupt, so i was going to help him format his pc and do a fresh install. But he couldn't wait and decided to play with his BIOS settings and changed his Performance from optimal to maximum. Now his computer wont even switch on.

I already got a feeling that his motherboard is dead, but im posting just in case it can be receovered.

Pleaser can someone help

Thanks

:whistling:

Advertisements

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Take a look inside his computer for any bulging/leaking capacitors. They will look something like this. Leaking/bulging capacitors are known to cause all sorts of problems, including random reboots and inability to boot.

When you say the lights turn off, do you mean the keyboard and mouse (optical) light go out, however the logon screen displays normally?

Mac_Quazi

Mac_Quazi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks for replying...

OK, I'll check out his motherboard tomorrow.

When I say the lights turn off, i mean the lights of the keyboard as in the "num lock" key and doesnt switch on again, its a PS/2 keyboard but a USB optical mouse.

But thats not the problem anymore, the problem now is that it wont turn on.

I forgot to mention something very important.....My freind decided to vacum the inside of his computer because of all the dust lol.

This resulted in 1 of his RAM chips to stop working, so i recently helped him replace the RAM with new sticks.

I think the vacuming is the cause of all this.

Another question, if the motherboard is dead, what do u think the chances are of the hard disk still working? just in case i need to back up his data on another machine?

Thanks

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Oh boy, static kills! Hard drive *should* still be alright however.